Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Lower harness mounts...?
jps

posted on 15/11/12 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Lower harness mounts...?

Not sure if this is a 'chassis' or an 'interior' thread so apologies if it's in the wrong place. I spent Saturday fashioning a jig to support my MEV GRP seats in my Haynes Roadster and trying out the seating position for size. The chassis I bought already had some lower harness mounts in place - but I am not sure if they are likely to be in the right place come IVA time given where i've positioned the seat. I am also having a hardtime deciphering the IVA manual requirements - does anyone have any tips on working this out?? Seems I just have to avoid the harness fouling on the GRP when i'm in situ with the belts done up?

The thing that REALLY confuses me is that I can't see any specific requirements about where the mounts are relative to the driver - e.g. lower harness mounts don't have to be behind the driver - although logic dictates that's the only way they'll be effective...?

Pic may help illustrate - the seat is about where I want to mount it...

James

posted on 15/11/12 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have no idea on the IVA rules.

However, in practice, the closer the lower mount is to your hip the better so that the belt it pulled 'down' more effectively.

My mounts are far too far backwards allowing the lap belts to ride up under the rib cage- potentially very serious in a front-ender.
Another job to sort out.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

johnemms

posted on 15/11/12 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Heres a pic of one of mine Lower harness

IVA says you must be able to access and adjust the belt .. See where your adjusters are.. if you bury them behind - bellow the seat you may have problems..

[Edited on 15/11/12 by johnemms]

[Edited on 15/11/12 by johnemms]

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/11/12 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I tend to agree. I think firther forward may be slightly better from comfort/safety point-of-view. Not sure about the IVA needs though.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

jps

posted on 15/11/12 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnemms
IVA says you must be able to access and adjust the belt .. See where your adjusters are.. if you bury them behind - bellow the seat you may have problems..

Yeah - I reckon I will need a ratchet ring spanner in any event!!!

pewe

posted on 15/11/12 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Position looks OK to me. Some edging on the seat should prevent chafing.
However whilst I'm sure it's strong enough I'd be happier with the captive plate triangulated off the chassis tube behind it.
That way it is less likely to twist under load.
Also if you haven't already bought them try to buy harnesses with pull-up lap straps.
I think Securon do them and they are so much easier to use, especially if you do events where the car is double driven - ask me how I know!
Cheers, Pewe10

swanntech

posted on 18/11/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
seat belt mount

hi my seat belt mounts are 140mm forward of rear crossmember if that helps .ps they did fail iva test first time but not for wrong position but not been gusetted .now passed iva
Michael

posted on 29/11/12 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
My opinion from my IVA tester from the picture that would fail..

I'm not sure if there is a picture in my archive of mine, but mine was a threaded bush welded to a triangle plate welded into the bottom and up right tube and mine failed....

The tester said he wanted to see the bush welded directly to the chassis rails, and gusseted. Dad being an MOD engineer did go though all options with the guy, that would still be as strong as they wanted but it still came to we had to weld the bush to the chassis and then we added an additional gusset over the top.

jacko

posted on 29/11/12 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I always think the belt fixing point should be feather forward then yours more just in line with your belly so the belt is pulling down on your legs
Looking at your photo i would say where the white line is

[Edited on 29/11/12 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 29/11/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Is there any way for builders to get 'official' feedback from inspectors prior to going in for IVA? Don't particularly want to get all the way to the test then find out that i need to start shifting things like these mounts...
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/11/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
yeah sorry but the bracket looks a full length too far back, you'll find that the harness will not want to sit over your hips but much higher up, not only will it be sore to use but you risk sliding under the harness in a crash. Sit in the seat and drape the harness over you, it should not be twisting from your hips to the mounting point, an angle back of about 45 degs in your case

if you try and look at the lower harness angle in this pic you can see just how much further forward your mount needs to be...

[Edited on 29/11/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 29/11/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
never mind the belts, check the air bags (and any other predictable tit jokes you can think of )
personally i'd leave the mounting out the question til you've got you belts and then fit them as per the belt manufacturers instructions.
Willans seem to show theirs as per the cracking picture above,
i'm sure i've seen diagrams showing them mounted further back

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.