Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Powerline network adaptors
Mark Allanson

posted on 9/3/13 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Powerline network adaptors

I want to set up a powerline network as my wifi is very slow due to cornish granite walls etc.

Has anyone used one? any pitfalls, recommendations?

A trawl of ebay has thrown up many Comtrend ones for spares repair so I think I will stay away from that brand

Any thoughts.......

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

britishtrident

posted on 9/3/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Homeplug brand are good, a few years back I got a coupleof the earlier 85Mbs speed one and found they were so good I did away with my CAT5 wiring.
Since then I have fitted a few, they are great for hooking up upstairs wifi repeaters.

Make sure you set them up properly with the supplied software before installing as the out of the box the encryption is off.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

JeffHs

posted on 9/3/13 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've used TP-Link 200 Mbps. One is connected direct to the router, then 3 satellites for Bluray, Sonos and 2nd router to extend the range. Everything works just fine.
Slimy38

posted on 9/3/13 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Homeplug brand are good, a few years back I got a coupleof the earlier 85Mbs speed one and found they were so good I did away with my CAT5 wiring.

I went the other way, my Homeplug adaptors were slower than the wifi that I was looking to replace and in the end just sent a CAT5 cable upstairs. It's all in the house wiring though.

Mark, without sounding negative are you sure a powerline network would be any better? I'm guessing your house is fairly old, along with the wiring? You could always give it a go without paying for a set. Argos have one, it's a bit cheeky but at least you'd get 28 days of evaluation before getting a refund. Not that I promote such behaviour....

[Edited on 9/3/13 by Slimy38]

jossey

posted on 9/3/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy 2 or 3 repeaters?

I have my htpc hard wired with an access point behind tv

My Internet router is downstairs in hallway with a repeater in loft....

My house is old stone......

Dj

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 9/3/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Got a pair from eBuyer a couple of years ago, for about £35, streams HD video from the PC to TV without a problem.
These are the ones, eBuyer. Read the reviews.

[Edited on 9-3-13 by 40inches]

Wheels244

posted on 9/3/13 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Got a pair from eBuyer a couple of years ago, for about £35, streams HD video from the PC to TV without a problem.
These are the ones, eBuyer. Read the reviews.

[Edited on 9-3-13 by 40inches]

Those are the ones I use - cured my wireless streaming/buffering problem instantly.

gremlin1234

posted on 9/3/13 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
A trawl of ebay has thrown up many Comtrend ones for spares repair so I think I will stay away from that brand

the comtrend ones originally supplied with bt vision were recalled because the cases hardened, and fell apart, exposing live mains...

MikeR

posted on 9/3/13 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I recently got some from www.7dayshop.com. Got a pair of the 500mb ones (i think) for around 35 quid. Use it to connect my printer upstairs to the rest of the house. When doing a speed test it was the same as my 54g wifi.

I'm happy with them.

Thinking of building an office in the garden and will probably use them to extend the network into there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/3/13 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Update! I have been doing a bit of testing. Although the house is fairly old, the wiring has been replaced in the last 10 years.

I have 60meg broadband, I have done a walk around with the new netbook and can achieve 54meg through wifi in most areas of the house, but the desk top with a new Edimax dongle can only get 12meg. The dongle is rated at 150meg and has the latest 'n' doofers, but isn't doing the job, I checked the desktop with a cat5, and got 58meg, so I am blaming the dongle.

I have the choice of getting a PCI wifi card or going the powerline route, both can be achieved for about £35.00 - which is recommended?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

pmc_3

posted on 9/3/13 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for the powerline adapters every time, will be a much more stable connection. They work best plugged direct in to a mains socket rather than an extension but the software will tell you signal quality.
MikeR

posted on 9/3/13 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
www.7dayshop.com also do some usb wireless adaptors with a directional ariel. Costs about a tenner, may be worth a punt.

(i'll stop pushing 7day shop soon!)

Daddylonglegs

posted on 10/3/13 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Just a note to remember on speeds of connections etc. Don't forget that there are megabits pers second and megaBytes per second (8 bits to a Byte). Something quoted at 150 Mb (megabits) is actually around 18 MB (megabytes). Can cause issues when choosing certain cables and devices.

Not particularly related to the issue raised here, but something to think about when checking speed ratings quoted on devices etc.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

ash_hammond

posted on 10/3/13 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the same issue with an edimax dongle. Mine was the little nano one, so small the transmitter did not stand a chance of getting a good signal.

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

jeffw

posted on 10/3/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ethernet Cat5e cable it the best way to do it permanently. Wireless or powerline are not as reliable or as high bandwidth/low latency, but they are ideal on a temporary basis.

ed1801

posted on 10/3/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have a desktop which had a rubbish signal, I replaced the aerial that screwed straight in the back of the card with a larger one on a wire and now get full rate, full signal. Cost about a fiver.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.