Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ST170... DTA S60 and Innovate LC1
Dave Bailey

posted on 28/4/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
ST170... DTA S60 and Innovate LC1

All,
Getting the car running so that I can go to IVA is becoming a nightmare... I was trying to get the car setup to run closed loop, sequential with Cam control enabled... The cam control has an issue where the advance / retard targets are not achieved and the cam movement is erratic... Rev up and the PWM map tries to adjust the cam but it is swinging all over the place.... Back to idle and the cam then sits at -15.2 degrees... I have checked the solenoid and fitted a replacement but no change... A long shot but anyone else running this setup or got any advice... I have had he car setup on a rolling road but it is just not right..... Drives ok on load but off load at 2500 rpm it is just not running clean.....

Thanks
Dave B

johnH20

posted on 29/4/13 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have no relevant knowledge but have you contacted DTA, they are supposed to be quite helpful.
Dave Bailey

posted on 1/5/13 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
OK.. so I have done a bit more playing around and it would seem that when the car starts the cam is not fully retarded.... When the first cam adjustment is on demand and the motor returns back to idle the cam goes to a negative position... Oil pressure on idle is abouit 2.5 bar and rises to about 4.5 - 5.0 at raised RPM..... Anyone know if the Cam should return to fully retarded when the engine is switched off....

thanks
Dave B

Rob Allison

posted on 5/5/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
The inlet cam should be at 85deg btdc at static and idle off. Then at max of 145deg btdc.
I have heard of the pulleys failing, it can sound like a metalic rattle. Also doing a belt change on them requires to timing to be checked 3 times by turning the engine over by hand, due to the VCT pulley moving.
And the cam phase sensor can fail

Matt @ TDF

posted on 7/5/13 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
How are you attempting to drive the dephaser oil control valve? Fixed PWM based on RPM/Throttle will not work. The PWM drive required at the hydraulic valve is not a fixed number. The control needs to be PID based with the PWM drive to the valve based on the size of the error between current and target. The drive will need to increase/decrease as the valvetrain loads act on the cam.

With zero PWM drive to the control valve the cam should be relatively static but you may see 1 to 2 degrees movement due to the valve train loads. If you are not seeing the cam return to static it is likely you have an amount of drive to the valve.

If you are using a strategy which is closed loop and PID based, have confirmed you have a varying PWM at the valve then you need to look at the PID parameters you are using to drive the valve. It it likely you can zero the I and D completely and use just the P Term to achieve target with some "flap" over the ideal target. Then use the integral and derivative to remove over/undershoot and flap. If the ECU is up to it you should be able to achieve target quicker than you laptop screen updates.

With regards oil pressure you will need around 0.75bar to achieve relatively quick adjustment of the cam. The actual oil pressure above this does not matter too much due to the design of the dephaser pulley. OEs do use an estimated oil temp or actual oil temp value in the calibration to take into account the change in viscosity but you aren't trying to achieve euro compliance so no need to worry about that ;-)

[Edited on 7/5/13 by Matt @ TDF]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.