Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diesel runaway
Benzine

posted on 6/1/14 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Diesel runaway

I recently got a small 2 cylinder diesel engine. It spins over nicely and compression feels very good when turning over by hand. I had to free off the plungers and delivery valves in the injection pump and now fuel comes through nicely and it starts on it's own. After about 2 seconds of starting it starts to runaway, the revs fly up well beyond the rated rpm, with oil speckling on the floor and lots of oil in the exhaust, smoke is obviously very thick. I had a block of wood and thick rags in case this happened so it was stopped before the rpms plateaued .

I've got the breather venting to air, not back into the intake so it's not running on oil mist from that source, and it's an N/A engine so no turbo seals to go wrong. Does this simply narrow it down to valve stem seals and/or piston blow by? Anything else to check before taking the head off? Could overfilling the oil cause it? I don't think it's overfilled but I'm not at the engine to check and won't be for a while. I doubt it could have been stored with oil in the bores as it's burned off such a large quantity, it would have all burned off by now.

Have some runaway diesels:
Watch the chap telling porkies at 7:37

[Edited on 6-1-2014 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
luke2152

posted on 6/1/14 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
dodgy centrifugal governer?
Benzine

posted on 6/1/14 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestion, would that still explain the oil in the exhaust though? If it was revving away just on diesel i'd expect it to be a little clearer. The gov is still something I need to check out though, as it's been sat for a good long while.

Here's the smoke level

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/1/14 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps you have a leaky injector. have you checked the throttle is actually connected correctly or even back to front. What happens if you set the throttle half way? I'd start it and then shut the fuel off and let it burn off any excess, it may have been dripping fuel into the manifold and ran on that. Just a few ideas

Yeah that's a bit smokey and they say diesels are better for the enviroment ^

[Edited on 6/1/14 by Mr Whippy]

luke2152

posted on 6/1/14 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
If its revving fast enough the oil will get past the rings anyway. Or so I've been told.
Benzine

posted on 6/1/14 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
If its revving fast enough the oil will get past the rings anyway. Or so I've been told.

That's interesting, i'll bear that in mind

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
perhaps you have a leaky injector. have you checked the throttle is actually connected correctly or even back to front. What happens if you set the throttle half way? I'd start it and then shut the fuel off and let it burn off any excess, it may have been dripping fuel into the manifold and ran on that. Just a few ideas

The throttle is connected as I found it, i've tried altering it so the fuel is cut off all together when it's off. When it does run away the fuel gets used up very very quickly, so it's fuel and oil that's being used...

quote:

Yeah that's a bit smokey and they say diesels are better for the enviroment ^

That's my assistant the Great Dieselini doing his vanishing act

craig1410

posted on 6/1/14 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Those pictures make my windpipe itch just looking at them! I can feel the effects of diesel fumes on my lungs even following a smoky taxi from 100 yards behind it, I can only imagine what that must have been like in your garage!
MikeRJ

posted on 6/1/14 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Does the smoke smell of oil or diesel? If may well just be unburnt diesel due to e.g. a duff injector, and running at high RPM won't be helping things.
Benzine

posted on 6/1/14 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it was quite a lot of smoke, we got out of there sharpish. Thankfully it's a large barn with a semi-open roof with some open slats on the side so it soon cleared

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Does the smoke smell of oil or diesel? If may well just be unburnt diesel due to e.g. a duff injector, and running at high RPM won't be helping things.

I think it smelled of both to be honest, we rigged up clear piping to gravity feed it and the level fell very very quickly so it was using a hell of a lot of diesel. When I put my finger in the exhaust it had a thick coating of black oil which wasn't there before, must have been a couple of tablespoon's worth in the 6" section

[Edited on 6-1-2014 by Benzine]

madteg

posted on 6/1/14 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Could be the oil scraper ring stuck in the piston, you would get compression but oil can get past piston rings.
steve8274

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
How do you switch the engine off if this happens?
UncleFista

posted on 7/1/14 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
The only time it's ever happened to me I stuck my hand over the air intake.
Takes some nerve not to just run away though

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

scimjim

posted on 7/1/14 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
overfull oil can cause runaway yes.
Benzine

posted on 12/1/14 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Update, IP is fine. I had the injectors off and had them hooked up and firing into the air. Both made a very nice spray pattern.

I took the head off and one cylinder had lots of black oil in it. Next step is to find out if it's valve or ring related.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.