Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suzuki Jimny?
Slater

posted on 29/7/24 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Suzuki Jimny?

Hi, my daughter is interested in buying a Suzuki Jimny as her 1st car, she's 23, and looking for job in wildlife sector, hence the 4WD......looking to spend about 5K on 10-12 yr old car.

I don't know much about these cars, so do you have any hints, tips, advice & what to look out for on this particular car? TIA.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

JoelP

posted on 29/7/24 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I love the look of the jimny but couldn't believe how mentally expensive they are! Shame really.

obfripper

posted on 29/7/24 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Keep your eye out for rust, first places to show are normally boot floor, under rear seats, behind front panel, and chassis outriggers.
Occasionally you'll find one with no rust, but they are not the norm, I have had rusty holes in 6 year old jimny.

Have a look here for some pointers;
https://www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Rust_protection

The engines are pretty bulletproof, later 16v engines have better fuel economy and the gearboxes can leak oil.
The front axle hub swivel bearings are a similar setup to a landrover, any stiffness, roughness or excessive play can affect the handling, sometimes giving what's termed "death wobble" when that play induces steering shake while braking - fixable but can really catch you out while driving at any reasonable speed.
A related problem is wheel bearing play causing brake judder, the front caliper is installed in the 12 o'clock position, so any play is magnified as pad knockback.

Trouble is I can't think of alternative small 4x4's that don't also have either rust or mechanical problems at the age you're looking at. I have an old jeep patriot which I have had to weld the rear quarter panel and replace the rear subframe (very little other rust though, but i did waxoyl it everywhere I could when i bought it 10 years ago), and suffers from frequent suspension bush wear all round (it is used off road daily though) the mechanicals have been generally good though, the patriot is based on a mitsubishi outlander/asx platform, these are also rust prone in the body and subframes.

Dave

HowardB

posted on 30/7/24 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
as an alternative what about the PANDA 4x4?

I have never had one - some love them

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

adithorp

posted on 30/7/24 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Swivel hubs as mentioned. Usually (all the ones I've dealt with) if they're bad, they leak oil/grease from the swivel seal at the back, so easy to check. Not a difficult fix (if you can build a kit car) but messy with lots of steps. Repair kits avaliable and good videos.

Rust of course but later ones don't seem too bad from what I've seen.

Great little motor overall.

[Edited on 30/7/24 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/7/24 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
4x4's don't generally make good first cars as they handle dreadful on the road and fall over very easily. Does she really need one to access where she needs to go? You could always put winter or offroad tyres on a cheap small FWD (even with a lift kit) and most will go anywhere reasonable. Fit a sump skid and sliders to the sills...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 30/7/24 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
4x4's don't generally make good first cars as they handle dreadful on the road and fall over very easily. Does she really need one to access where she needs to go? You could always put winter or offroad tyres on a cheap small FWD (even with a lift kit) and most will go anywhere reasonable. Fit a sump skid and sliders to the sills...

A fair comment. Decent tyres on a small FWD hatchback and most of them are pretty nimble off road (unless your asking real off road mud plugging duties). Better to drive on road and probably a sight more economical to run as well (certainly for a first car).

MikeR

posted on 30/7/24 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to suggest the panda 4x4 - they seem pretty decent cars for what they are and may be a much better first car. It all depends on what she wants to do & more seriously what she's likely to do whilst she's got the first car.
jacko

posted on 30/7/24 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like she needs a darcia duster two or four wheel drive
G

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mike Wood

posted on 30/7/24 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
How much off-roading is really required - surely work provides a vehicle for the rough stuff? I have a 2016 version of one of these, a Subaru Impreza 1.6iRC - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202407252132426 - constant four wheel drive, manual gearbox with a low ratio transfer box (so 5 low forward gears as well as the regular 5 ratios) with a Subaru steel sump guard and diff guards (both available as accessories, the sump guard you could get in ali too) and careful driving including low ratio got me a long way on remote forestry tracks for work and have a second set of wheels with winter tyres. Not much power (114bhp) and a 1.6 fuel injected petrol engine with no turbo. Later ones are Euro NCAP 6 but more money, this one is a 5. Check insurance plus when OK for low emissions zones.

Also this model is rated for 1500kg towing weight - handy for an Austin Healey Sprite or Locost 7 on a light single axle trailer…

If you need something for access for deer stalking including moving the carcass and perhaps hauling an ATV in a trailer then this is not it.

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 30/7/24 by Mike Wood]

[Edited on 31/7/24 by Mike Wood]

J666AYP

posted on 31/7/24 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
Given the required criteria I would go for a freelander. Still drives like a car but will handle the mud well with a set of decent tyres.

I found the jimny's to be underpowered to the point of thrashing them just to keep with traffic.

Slater

posted on 31/7/24 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
OK thanks for the comments chaps, and the alternative options too. I've shown her the replies and we are planning to go and view some cars in next 10 days.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

overdriver

posted on 2/8/24 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
For what it's worth I'd also throw in the Skoda Yeti. Available in 2 & 4 wheel drive with a range of engines they are a very solid vehicle that drives very well on the road and is quite a capable mild off-road performer - even in 2wd configuration. My step-daughter has a 2wd 1.4 petrol version which has to cope with frequent visits to remote surfing locations as well as day-to-day domestic duties.
HowardB

posted on 2/8/24 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by overdriver
For what it's worth I'd also throw in the Skoda Yeti. Available in 2 & 4 wheel drive with a range of engines they are a very solid vehicle that drives very well on the road and is quite a capable mild off-road performer - even in 2wd configuration. My step-daughter has a 2wd 1.4 petrol version which has to cope with frequent visits to remote surfing locations as well as day-to-day domestic duties.

that needs a "like" I had forgotten the YETI

A good mate had one, 4wd, it went most places off road. Was "ok" on the road too.
Jeremy Clarkson did a review, declaring it faster than a ferrari round simply sausages and more comfortable than a Range Rover off road - LOL

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

obfripper

posted on 2/8/24 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
The yeti is not a bad shout, if she needs 4x4 then the 1.4 and larger petrols and the 2.0 diesels are the only models built with 4x4. I would avoid the diesel for the egr valve being common to fail, and it being a remove the subframe and transfer box job to access, not cheap to repair when it does go(£1200 at dealer w/genuine parts, patterned valves are a crapshoot, worst ones I've fitted lasting 4 days, hence I don't fit the patterned ones anymore).

The 2015 onward 1.4 tsi is the best option on the petrol engines, the timing belt intervals have recently been changed from 5 years to inspect yearly (as a guide probably ok for 8years/100k miles). If you look at a low mileage one, there is a reasonable chance the actuator rod for the turbo will be seized from lack of use, but can usually be freed off with a bit of penetrating oil, but no major problems beyond normal wear/tear.

The older 1.4tsi has a timing chain, but suffers from chain stretch and tensioner failure, to assess you need to hear the car running from cold to pick up the signs of an impending problem, if caught early is just a new chain kit, but if left will end up as a full head rebuild. As per most other modern chain driven cam engines, the oil needs changing at absolute minimum yearly or 12k miles to give the chain best chance of not wearing out.

Dave

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

posted on 2/8/24 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.
If your daughter needs any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/24 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
My niece and her partner have a Dacia Duster, and they live at the end of a steep farm track in the wilds of Scotlandshire! They've been very happy with it, and I believe my brother is thinking of buying himself one as a result (or may have done so already).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.