Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: K Series flywheel
Hammerhead

posted on 14/10/06 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
K Series flywheel

Some of you know that i am having issues with my 1.8 (1996 spec) K series off a lotus elise. The 1.8 flywheel is too big for the caterham bellhousing I have.

It has been pointed out to me that I will also have issues with the timing marks on any replacement flywheel I try.

So...I wondered if it might be a workable idea to have my 1.8 flywheel machined down to the same radius as a 1.6 and use the ring gear off the 1.6. This way I will have the correct timing marks. As long as they do not fall within the area to be machined.

Any ideas??

GeoffT

posted on 14/10/06 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just to give you another option, the reluctor ring that contains the flywheel code CAN be removed from the flywheel - but it's not easy. I removed mine to change the code to a 36-1 pattern to suit megajolt, in my case this involved welding a couple of extra tabs to the reluctor ring. So it *may* be possible for you to change these rings over.

From memory the one on my 10" flywheel was held in with 4 tabs accessed from the back of the flywheel. I punched these through and levered the ring out. It looked pretty sorry for itself by now, but was made from a fairly soft material and straightened up easily. As mentioned, I then had to add a couple of extra tabs, and tap the ring back into the flywheel.

I did this to remove the need for a 36-1 wheel on the front pulley, but had the insurance that I could fit one if I totally fecked the ring up. Like I said, a possible option, but not one to be taken on lightly....

DIY Si

posted on 14/10/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not do whatever it is caterham do? Or buy a flywheel off them/an owner/FleaBay?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Steve Morten

posted on 14/10/06 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
You just need to get a flywheel of a 1.6 k series. That firts straight on I've just done it. Actually I might have a spare, I'll have a look.
Steve Morten

posted on 14/10/06 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
The timing marks are mostly the same. I think it depends on year. Have a look on the BBS MG site for 16v k series midget and B's;

http://www2.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgbbs&access=41729141105034&mode=tlist&subject=76

There's loads of info on there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.