Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gas or Oil Damping?
drlloyd

posted on 15/8/07 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Gas or Oil Damping?

I have to purchase some adjustable coilovers for the locost soon and was wondering if anybody has used air damped coilovers as opposed to oil damped? Do the advantages outweigh the cost? What is the rough cost for a set of 4 with springs?

Originally I was planning on purchasing a set of Protech coilovers: exc. service, lightweight and cheap but they are oil damped.

When I say air, I mean gas. Sorry for the confusion!

[Edited on 15/8/07 by drlloyd]

[Edited on 15/8/07 by drlloyd]

speedyxjs

posted on 15/8/07 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
If air dampers are the same or similar to air suspension, go with oil

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

nick205

posted on 15/8/07 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Can't say I've seen air damped shocks myself. I would imaging the performance and reliability benefits of oil damping outweigh the potential weight saving of air damping.
Nick Skidmore

posted on 15/8/07 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
All dampers have oil in them.

You are thinking of gas (nitrogen) pressurised dampers. These have oil in them but are gas pressurised.

Oil dampers have a gas bag in them as well, allows the damper rod to intrude in to a body filled with oil with out exploding them!

Try something like the Koni , Penske , quantum web sites for a breakdown of advantages and disadvantges of various types of damper

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mark chandler

posted on 15/8/07 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Tried all three kinds off roading.

Simple oil is fine if nor overworked, as the oil heats up its thins, becomes aerated and stops damping.

Nitrogen charged, same applies as above but the gas is more stable so it takes much longer to overheat.

Air damping, seen the sort that you pump up to stiffen the ride, not much different to the first, mostly used on pickup trucks to accommodate heavy loads

Nitrogen charged that you pump up with nitrogen, very adjustable and stable, but very expensive, as you need the tools and gas as well as the shocks.

For road use simple oil is fine, you will have to try very hard to ruin the ride, it is however worth the extra for nitrogen. IMHO its not worth going for the next ones up as you will never notice the difference.

Regards Mark

britishtrident

posted on 15/8/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
These days nearly all tintop damper are gas filled, these may or may not have a diaphram between the oil and the gas.

Ones that have a diaphram between the oil and gas will work properly even when upside down.

Gas filling is probably not as essential on a Locost as on a tintop or rally car because the Locost has virtually no suspension travel, however it is a good thing to have as it helps prevent damper fade.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.