Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension help
sammy

posted on 15/9/07 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Suspension help

I am at the stage where I am ready to mount the brackets for the shocks, so I am looking to get some shocks.

What is the best way to work out what length dampers to get?

I assume that under normal load the bottom wishbones, both front and rear (IRS), should be horizontal.

So I was thinking that if I position a wheel so that the bottom wishbone is horizontal, then move the wheel down 1 inch (more?), and take that as being the position where the damper would be at it's maximum (open) length.

Does this sound OK for working out the maximum open length needed for the damper? How much sag is needed (front and rear) to allow for roll during cornering?

Cheers,
Sam

Build diaries...

britishtrident

posted on 15/9/07 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
The wishbone level thing is a bit of a fallacy.
Depends on tyre height
Usually the inner wishbone pivot should be slightly higher than outer --- say 1" to 1.5"

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mark chandler

posted on 15/9/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I,d block the chassis at the height you want, stick on the wheels and let them rest on the floor, now measure the distance between the shock mounts.

This length is now halfway between fully opened and fully closed on whatever shock you need.

My shocks have I think 4" of travel, this is more than enough for a locost, infact I really need to fix bump stops and restrict droop.

Regards Mark

omega 24 v6

posted on 15/9/07 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

This length is now halfway between fully opened and fully closed on whatever shock you need

Not necessarily. I believe that the fully extended shock should be the physical stop for the suspension on full droop. This is so that the ball joints on the suspension do not take the axle/ wishbone loads. In that case you need to build the front and rear suspension up and then work out what the absolute longest shock you can use is. Then fully compress the suspension and work out the size for the shortest closed unit you can use (taking into account a bump stop of usually 1 inch). In reality all builds are different but only by about 1.5 inches maximum at the front.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.