Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vegetable oil and diesel mix
jacko

posted on 24/1/08 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
vegetable oil and diesel mix

Hi all - a mate of mine has a 1997 Discovery TDi 2.5 and would like to know if he can use it without any modifications ?
If mods are needed what are they. Also what ratio of veg oil to diesel do you use.
Thanks Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
x_flow57

posted on 24/1/08 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I found a lot of usefull info Here

HTH
Nick

<<<<<For Sale

thunderace

posted on 24/1/08 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
i also am thinking of useing veg oil for a 3003 corsa 17tdi but cant find if its ok for this car or not

in the summer you can use 50/50 and you need to get the right oil ,in the winter you use around 30% .

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/fuelsdatabase/database/index.php

graememk

posted on 24/1/08 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
old diesels ok
new one big no no

fuel pump very £££££

never mor ethan a 50% new oil derv mix

marcjagman

posted on 24/1/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I did over 100,000 miles a year as a courier and used loads of veg oil, in summer agout 2 gallons diesel rest of tank was oil in winter 50/50. It was a 52 reg Ducato
b16mts

posted on 24/1/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
i'm running 20 lies veg to 40 litres derv right now and its fine. in summer i'll be cranking it up to about 80% veg.

worst bit is veg price has gone through the roof. 6 months ago it was 50ppl, now its over 80ppl!!

and you thought petrol went up in price!

martin

blakep82

posted on 24/1/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
i thought it was illegal?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jacko

posted on 24/1/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Marcjagman and Bigmts did you have to modify the engine in any way ?
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
b16mts

posted on 24/1/08 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Nope!

just chucked it in.

though its advisable to change the fuel filter after the first 500 and 3000 miles, as the veg picks up any crap in the tank and pipes and flushes it through often cloggin up the filter.

plus keep an eye on your fuel pump (if its a suitable one) as with the veg being thivker, it puts more strain on it.

I know a guy who is using 100% veg in this weather with no problems! but he does mix either a litre of white spirit/unleaded to thin it out.

Sturdy things these old toyota engines, not sure how a landy would fair, so definately do the research first!

Martin

b16mts

posted on 24/1/08 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i thought it was illegal?

no.

you used to have to declare the duty, but since they realised so many people were doing it and it cost them so much money to process all the paperwork for the sake of them getting a few more pennies they changed the law.

since July you don't have to declare anything so long as you use less than 2500 litres a year. thats about 48 litres a week, and there's no way i use that much!!

Martin

tomblyth

posted on 24/1/08 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
check your pump Lucas ones are not so risiliant as the Bosch pumps I ran a 1.7 cavalier on neat veg oil from asda/tesco for months last year just have to thin it in the winter (or fit a heater) the first diesel engines ran on peanut oil int mineral oil...
JoelP

posted on 24/1/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
how about 30% derv, 5% unleaded and 65% vegi oil?

Has anyone mixed different fuels in a jar to see how well they stay together?

Ricks-9r

posted on 24/1/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
all you need to know here

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/
coozer

posted on 24/1/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I ran it in my Isuzi TD engined Corsa and when it was frosty it refused to start! Only once mind as it caught me out with 50/50 mix!

I'm running it my Rover 2.0Di with no problems, apart from as mentioned it has shot up in price.

I drained the Corsa tank once sucking on the hose and got a gob full and it tasted OK

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DarrenW

posted on 24/1/08 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
i also am thinking of useing veg oil for a 3003 corsa 17tdi but cant find if its ok for this car or not

in the summer you can use 50/50 and you need to get the right oil ,in the winter you use around 30% .

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/fuelsdatabase/database/index.php

I wouldnt worry about veggie oil for your car. By then fuels may take whole different form and we may even have levitating 7's in common use. Maybe even becs will be phased out in favour of some other weird and wacky power source

DarrenW

posted on 24/1/08 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone ran a modern diesel on veggie oil. Im thinking modern BMW diesel? Mine is 2002 150bhp 2.0 diesel engine. Im not tempted at all, fixing it will far outweight savings.

NigeEss

posted on 25/1/08 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
I've ran a 200Tdi on 50/50 or 60/40 derv/veg. In winter got a bit of smoke first
few secs after startup .

It will actually run on pure veg although the smoke on startup is alarming
and if really cold will also misfire for a very short while. Soon
clears but feels very flat till the blower kicks in.
When warm it's better but not perfect.
Best mixed and a few percent unleaded helps.

As mentioned, the Bosch pumps are much stronger and cope with the viscosity.
Smells nice though

Use biodiesel these days as I can now get it locally for £0.85/l

jolson

posted on 25/1/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
early last year I was running my 1989 BX on betwen 50-100% veg oil. It started fine in the summer on 100%, but cooler temperatures meant increasing the proportion of diesel until it was happy. Swapped the preheat controller for a Fiat one from the breakers that gives twice the preheat.

Didn't know about any change in the law about reporting duty on veg oil. I tried the local biofuel for a little while, but they've gone out of business and I've been too lazy to get more veg oil

Cheers

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.