Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: euro driving
JoelP

posted on 25/2/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
euro driving

if you were to set off to alicante from leeds, how long would you allow to get there in a normal car at a holiday pace, stopping to see the sights?!

Im thinking a day to the english south coast, but getting to the spanish border the next day is a bit much. Then its about the same distance to alicante on the third day. Its only 1100 miles apparently, but feels like more!

JoelP

posted on 25/2/08 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
swmbo wants a day in paris too so i dont think it will work in one week!
RazMan

posted on 25/2/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I would allow two days in Spain to make things safe - you could do it in a day but you would need a good supply of matchsticks It always takes longer than you think even if you choose the toll roads. The mountain routes are entertaining but quite tiring and slow.

*edit* I assume you are taking the Portsmouth ferry and not the tunnel - but then if you want to call in to Paris perhaps I am wrong ..... in which case allow a week!

[Edited on 25-2-08 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 25/2/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
id say 3. reason is, say driving from london to glasgow is about 7 hours, and thats only stopping once for 30mins or so. thats about 500miles.

1100miles + ferry trip and seeing the sights, stoping along the way...

3 or maybe 4 don't know

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

zilspeed

posted on 25/2/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
We considered drivng to the Cote D'azure for our holidays this year.

From The middle bit of scotland. The more i thought about it, the less sense it made.
A days drivng to get to the channel. A day and a half in France to get to our destination. You might do it quicker than that, but let's not make it more difficult than it has to be.
I make that 5 days driving just to get there and back.

Sod that, that's what Ryanair and car hire is for. It wouldn't even cost any more to fly and hire.

As it turns out, we're going to Cornwall and Devon instead

Anyway, enjoy

Aboardman

posted on 25/2/08 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
google maps can do a route
leeds to paris is
494 miles 8 hours 39 min

paris to alcante
957 mile 13 hours 27 min.

I must admit i was looking yesterday about getting myself a motorbike and doing a similar trip.

David Jenkins

posted on 25/2/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
To give you a guide, I drove from Hamburg to a place near Munich. Reasonably fast roads and autobahns, minimal sightseeing on the way, took 3 days. This was setting a reasonable mileage limit per day of around 500 miles, as I actually wanted (a) to see some scenery, (b) stay alive and (c) not be totally knackered when I got to the destination.

You reckon 1 day from Leeds to the south coast, which is probably fair considering the roads you'll be on. Now look at the map, measure the distance between those 2 places, then measure the distance between the foreign port and your destination!

Big place, Europe...

JoelP

posted on 25/2/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
i would happily drive 8 hours if it were only alternate days, but i dont think it would work for me. Would be fine if it were a nice car and the point was the drive, but it wont be, and i dont think its an economical way to see places.

I do 4 hours a day for work sometimes, with 8 hours work in the middle!

omega 24 v6

posted on 25/2/08 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
We did Fraserburgh to Havant round trip last year with 3 drivers Non stop with only fuel pee pee stops and a 2 hour break while we loaded/had a chat. A total of 1330 ish miles with detour during my driving stint which took us past the end of the heathrow runway and on to the M25 (some divvy left the home setting on the tomtom set to what I presume it was shipped with as central london)
We left at 5pm friday night and got back near bang on the same time the following evening. That was towing a trailer mind. So 3 days should be plenty not including the race track that is Paris. I just hope your car does not get wrecked by the cheese munchers and their lack of respect while driving>

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

zilspeed

posted on 25/2/08 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
You must have felt right fresh after those 24 hours ?

mark chandler

posted on 25/2/08 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
It took us around 22 hours constant driving to get that far from Calais, avoid Paris if possible, its all dual carriageway or better until you reach the French/Spanish borders.
omega 24 v6

posted on 25/2/08 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You must have felt right fresh after those 24 hours ?

Not so bad really but the jeep was a bit of a mess with crisp bags sweety papers etc. Going down through the night was the worst as there is nowt to look at and I'm not a great sleeper/passenger when someone else is driving.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

skodaman

posted on 26/2/08 at 02:10 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't try doing France in one day. Paris to the Med the French often use the N7 which is called the Widows Highway cos people fall asleep at the wheel and crash.
It all depends on what car you're in and more importantly how many drivers. Also depends on how well u adapt to driving on wrong side of road.
Best bet is to blast to France as fast as pos and then just cruise and enjoy. Getting off the main roads is more interesting even if the road surface is so bad u can't keep up with old farmers in 2CVs.
I find Spain easier and more interesting to drive in than France but be careful you don't get your car broken into.They seem to target foreign cars and it happened to me in a guarded campsite in daylight. You're lucky in that if you get you're passport stolen at the same time there's a British Cosulate in Alicante so u can get an emergency one. They only open in the morning and have a really bad attitude.
I used to spend six weeks every summer cruising round Europe and once even made it to Morocco but this year swmbo is forcing us all to spend six weeks in the Philippines. Life's a beach. I'd rather spend six weeks in the garage with my new welder.
Have fun.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scottc

posted on 26/2/08 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I drove from Newcastle to the Costa Del Sol in late November. Ignoring the fact I blew the engine it was quite uneventful.

day1. Newcastle to worcester to see friends.
day2 Worcester to Rouen France. that was about 12 hours.
day3 Rouen to Madrid. That again was an entire day of driving with nothing to see on the toll roads.
day4 Madrid to Costa Del Sol. That is about 8 hours. and with the heavy fog there was nothing to see at all.

2 days later I went back to Nantes/Rouen to return the hire van that replaced my dead one.
costa del sol to madrid, madrid to Rouen as fast as possible. Still took 2 whole days though.

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/2/08 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I'd use the trains, there so fast

I'm off the France for holday very soon and that's how I'm going there.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

DaveFJ

posted on 26/2/08 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Ipswich to Basingstoke (150miles) then back to the tunnel and all the way down through france to Limoges (going via Paris Cirque Parifique) took 13.5 hours driving plus about 1 hour for the crossing...

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.