Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caliper refurb
Dickyboy

posted on 7/7/08 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Caliper refurb

I have a pair of type 16 calipers, got the pistons out and all looks clean, no rust or scores past the seals, any comments on putting new seals in as opposed to buying reworked ones? does it work?

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/7/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
if they're no damage I'd just put them back together using plenty of brake fluid, you've only got £250 to play with!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mix

posted on 7/7/08 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

If as you say there is no evidence of wear or corrosion then I would buy a new set of seals and rebuild, just be very careful and esure all is scrupulously clean when re-assembling. Under no circumstances would I consider re-assembly with the same seals which may have been damaged during dis-assembly and almost certainly will not be re-installed in the same relationship that they were previously.

Regards Mick

rusty nuts

posted on 7/7/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Check the bleed nipples come undone, might be worth fitting new ones while your at it?
richard

posted on 7/7/08 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Rebuilt mine with new seals and they work fine, that after the pistons were stuck in as well
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dickyboy

posted on 7/7/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, new seals it is!! Now what can I buy with the £100 saved?

Blakey_boy

posted on 9/7/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Try big red for a kit for the M16 calipers I have bought and used said kit and it works fine

Gene Hunt:- If anything happens to that car, I'm coming round your house and stomping on your toys, Understand?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.