Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch and Gear Cables
bassett

posted on 19/8/08 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Clutch and Gear Cables

Hi, im looking at my clutch and gear change cables and i rekon there too long. Any chance owners with R1 engines and MNR supplied cables could measure theres for me?
For the paddle shift is the push pull cable located on the left or right side?
The purlpe covered ones for the clutch and the blue for the gear change or other way round?
How have owners secured their paddleshift cables where the cable goes down to the bike gear change lever?
Thanks
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

richardh

posted on 20/8/08 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
hi
mine could be a bit too long too.
both mine are in purple sleeves.
the paddle shift cable is on my left side.
clutch cable is secured with a metal p-clip in 2 places in a big sweeping circle towards the front of the car the4n round.
the gear change comes through bulk head and up over engine and round and down to the lever mechanism. no clipping necessary.

marc n

posted on 20/8/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
gear change cable is the one with two rodends, should be correct length as they are all made the same, just to make sure let me know the length from eye to eye of the rodend

gear cable goes to the left when sat in the car

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bassett

posted on 20/8/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Well the cables are;

Clutch - Purple/Browny very thick- 128.5cm end to end

Gear Change - Blue thin with rod ends 142cm end to end

heres a (Hightech and not to scale diagram of how i thought it should look please correct me if im wrong

Should the Gear change cable sit like this
This pic shows the cable fully pulled at the other end(up shift or + on paddleshift pulled up)

This pic shows it fully pushed back from the other end(down shift or- on the paddleshift pulled up)

Surely this would only allow me to pull for down shifts/ - as there is no room to pull for an upshift/ +?

[Edited on 20/8/08 by bassett]

TimC

posted on 21/8/08 at 05:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought on the clutch cable, it is possible to apply a similar approach to the paddle shift (in terms of the way the cable ends are secured by bracketry.) I saw the same arrangement on a car at Stoneleigh and copied it, It did require an expensive custom cable though. Probably not much help if you've bought parts already but here you go:
Bracket mounted over lower forward engine mouont and short cable.

bassett

posted on 24/8/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, Tim is you clutch cable routed the same side as it looks like we would be pull ours the opposite side. Id like to keep the cables we've got as already running a bit over budget.
Thanks
Adam

Robert Ryan

posted on 25/8/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
CABLES

I HAVE USED RODS FOR BOTH CLUTCH AND GEAR LINKAGE.

[Edited on 25/8/08 by Robert Ryan] Rescued attachment fore sale 024.jpg
Rescued attachment fore sale 024.jpg

marc n

posted on 25/8/08 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
gear cable should go through to the left when sat in car and sweep round to the left hand side of scuttle area, you may need to remove some of the threads on the cable to allow rod end on fully

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bassett

posted on 25/8/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of a linkage but i really wouldnt know where to start.
Had a go at it again this morning got the clutch cable is sorted but as it didnt come with a rod end i took one off the gear shift cable. Before reading the post i shortened the cable for the gearshift and with out the rod end im making an ally bracket for it which may may not work lol.
Marc i wasnt quite sure on that last bit so when sitting in the car does the cable attach to the gear lever arm from the left or from the right like in the picture above?
Adam

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.