Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Olympics - Team GB
DarrenW

posted on 19/8/08 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Olympics - Team GB

Just a quick post to congratulate the efforts of the team so far. Awesome achievement. Its a real buzz to hear about the medals that we are winning each day in some gruelling events. Proper blood, sweat and tears stuff.

If this is the practice for 2012 then its all boding well. Long may the success continue.

What sticks out in your mind as a real triumph for Team GB?

Im still buzzing for Rebecca getting the WR in 800m swimming and of course the Gold. The rowing medals are also fantastic (ive got an erg and can only watch in amazement at what they can do).

nib1980

posted on 19/8/08 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Thats why it's called GREAT Britain!

but i did notice the frech pointing out the BRits are only good at the sprots involving sitting down........

BenB

posted on 19/8/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
We're very good at sports involving equipment (cycling, horse-riding, boats, rowing etc etc)...... Not sure what happened with the swimming!!!
markyb

posted on 19/8/08 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
its amazing what a bit of money can do - cant remember the exact figures but in Australia the funding was approx £50 million, more than twice that for the Greece olympics and approx £250 million this time around

post 2012 expect funding to drop and the teams performance to follow suit

twybrow

posted on 19/8/08 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
It's not just funds that make success. Our athletic team have had more money than any other team, any yet they have not even got a bronze... You can't polish a turd!

alistairolsen

posted on 19/8/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
what stands out for me is Ben ainslie winning his 3rd gold medal and fourth olympic medal after a class change for 04, at the age of 31!

or perhaps more impressive is his first medal at 19.

the ynling girls team again...

02GF74

posted on 19/8/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
you all wrong!!! The 4 man team pursuit!!! AWESOME!!!

twybrow

posted on 19/8/08 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

It was very good to watch... Nearly as good as the beach volleyball!

Ivan

posted on 19/8/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Our results (South Africa) are non-results. .

I guess that's what happens when the team racial demographics at all levels of sport is more important than excellence. and coaches and administrators are chosen more on their willingness to toe the government's policy line than on their skills.

Anyway - we still have the Rugby World Cup

Marcus

posted on 19/8/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Quote "We're very good at sports involving equipment (cycling, horse-riding, boats, rowing etc etc)......

I think it was a comedian on Mock the week who said the only reason we're good at these sports, is the Ethiopians can't afford the gear!!

Made me cringe too!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pajsh

posted on 19/8/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's a shame the focus is so much on the medals.

Whilst getting a gong is the crowing glory, to actually get there is a huge achievement requiring a massive personal sacrifice.

For most it is the peak of a decade or more of training and competition. There must be loads who end up 4th, 5th, 6th and above that won't even get a mention.

Lets here it for all those that have made it there to represent Team GB.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

MikeLR

posted on 19/8/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think that a member of the cycling team would have been included if they had suffered a stress fracture a couple of months previously !!! and could not prove that they were capable of competing.
Another can of worms opened.
Mike

Taz Surfleet

posted on 19/8/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Anyway - we still have the Rugby World Cup

given to you by a ref who couldnt tell his arse from his elbow

Mr G

posted on 19/8/08 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
It's not just funds that make success. Our athletic team have had more money than any other team, any yet they have not even got a bronze... You can't polish a turd!

Gold for Christine Ohuruogu in the 400m's today

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

RK

posted on 19/8/08 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Our large and fractious country managed to happily break our natural placement of 4th a few times by doing well in rowing (8 man and doubles), women's wrestling, swimming and horse show jumping (why is this in there? - I know the answer: to give the Royal Families something to do), to name a few.

If it gets the average lazy child out of the house and into sporting activity, the money we all spend is worth it.

peterparsons

posted on 19/8/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't do to well in the Archery though
NS Dev

posted on 19/8/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

absolutely incredible performance!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

rusty nuts

posted on 19/8/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peterparsons
Didn't do to well in the Archery though

Thats because Robin Hood died years ago!

Well done to the British team especially the cyclists who I think have won most of the gold medals?

roadrunner

posted on 19/8/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I suppose you could do better.
Its comments like that , that put my back up, people sit at home and think if we dont medal we are CRAP.
I got talking to one 800m runner who got a silver at an olympics(forget the year)it was his first mayjor champs, when he got home traviling on the tube someone commented on his tracksuit asking what he had done, after he had said silver the guy was miffed because he didnt win.
As for funding, there maybe lots of numbers flying around but not many athletes see a penny,if you are already good you earn too much so dont qualify, if you dont earn any money at it, that means you are not quick enough so also you dont qualify for funding, there's always a catch.
As for these Olympics it has been the best i have seen and theres more to come
Top notch veiwing
Just my penneth.
Former Commenwealth Games 800m finalist.

[Edited on 19/8/08 by roadrunner]

twybrow

posted on 20/8/08 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Of course I could do better - but only when armchair events are introduced!

I am not saying we are crap - quite the opposite, I am simply saying if we don't have the right people in GB, then it doesn't matter how much money you throw at the training, you won't win. Look at Jamaica - I guarantee the team training budget will be tiny compared to ours, yet they had 3 runners in the final for the 100m. Why is this? I would suggest it is the physiology of the population.

I agree, a fantastic olympics, and well worth our tax money.

I take it you didn't win a medal in the commonwealth games? You must be crap!

roadrunner

posted on 20/8/08 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
The biggest problem is life style, when i was competing i had a full time job and a morgage to pay for but yet on the track i am expected to beat full time athletes most of them from Africa that have nothing else to do but compete, i was British number one indoors and number two outdoors and i still didnt qualify for funding. There is one thing i learned during my time , was too only depend on myself and no one else.
It was good while it lasted. But i thought that was it until tonight on the Olympic highlights, a 42 year old cyclist winning gold in the madison, i fancy a go at that.

adithorp

posted on 20/8/08 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I know and have raced with most of the GB cyclists. They're a great bunch off the bike, but brutal to race with. I couldn't be happier for them.

Roadrunner, imagine running 600m fast , jogging slow for 200m(while your teammate laps you) then running 600m again and repeat for almost an hour (while in the closest packed group you ever ran in) and you'll get some idea of what a madison is like to ride. It's a killer event but a complete buzz with the speed and concentration needed to avoid the changes in front of you (the rider slowing goes from 35mph to 20mph in 10 yards and his partner does the opposite).

I think GB athletics are close to breaking through as a top nation. There's a noticable drop in some nations performance and we can guess why.

It's taken cycling 10 years to get where they are now and selections have been ruthlessly tough; you only went if you could medal. Now they have to leave riders at home who could medal (our u23 team pursuiters would win bronze) but the allocation of places is limited per nation.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

DarrenW

posted on 21/8/08 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
The way i see it is that even in the events where we dont get medals we have athletes in the finals. This si nothing short of outstanding. Surely even if a person comes eight out of eight in a final - they are still in the top 10 in the WORLD. How good is that? They had to beat scores of others to get that far.

Superb performances all round i say. Good practice for 2012.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.