Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA fail Shrewsbury
jabbahutt

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
SVA fail Shrewsbury

Morning all

didn't post about this last night as to be honest I was brain dead from the early start.

I was lucky with the weather and the only pour down of rain was while the car was in the building.

failed on 9 points including headlight alignment(sorted there and then) emissions which for some reason I wasn't allowed to adjust and the rest were radius issues one of which was the actual MK body work and I'd overlooked some sticky pad tie wrap bases which I'd omitted to Sikaflex.
The speedo was reading 3mph low on all speeds so that just needs another covert 1 mile drive to calibrate the speedo.

Main job will be making a perspex screen to cover the gauges as the radius was just too small.

Really happy with the result as none of the things I was worried about which would involve holes in the bodywork such as mirrors in the wrong place etc were a problem.

One thing to draw peoples attention to who are coming up for the test is he asked for documentation proving that the fuel hose was actually designed for fuel. I drew his attention to the marking on the hose but he asked for written proof such as the catalogue and receipt which i didn't have with me.

The other thing is he didn't like the use of foam to cover sharp edges on the outside of the vehicle even if covered in rubber so be aware of that everyone.

Couple of days off now to give me a breather and then I'll try and sort out a job a day.

The examiner was nice and friendly explained everything well and was fair with everything that he picked up.

Thanks again for everyone who has helped me get this far with information, actual assistance and the loan of items such as car covers.

cheers
Nigel

[Edited on 21/10/08 by jabbahutt]

blakep82

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mad-butcher

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
hope you enjoyed the day, glad to hear it wasn't to much, what was the issue with the MK bodywork
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Doesn't sound too bad- well done

Hugh

l0rd

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Sad to hear you failed

It is dissapointing when cars like yours fail when you can get old bangers full of rust passing mots. I am sure, that any old factory build car would fail an SVA test.

[Edited on 21/10/08 by l0rd]

oldtimer

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Well done, not bad really. I suppose the perspex is removed post retest.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Morning mate

Hope you dont feel too bad about the extra work to do now to get that pass - you'll get there.

Just one thought - dont suppose using an original Sierra steering wheel will bring the dials within the 127mm exclusion zone will it?? Might be easier than making a clear cover

jabbahutt

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Tony

The rear of the side panel at the top near the base of the roll bar where it goes from horizontal to vertical has an insufficent radius and he suggested some L shaped rubber trim securely attached.

I have photos at home which i'll upload later.

If you need more info let me know.

Cheers
Nigel

jabbahutt

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
I could swap the wheel but I wouldn't physically be able to drive it.

One I find some perspex it will only take half an hour to fashion something up thatr will pass and then fall off.

pewe

posted on 21/10/08 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Bad luck but I think that's classed as a good fail.
At least there weren't any major issues which tells you that your build quality was to an acceptable standard.
Having been through the same process (re-test next Tues.) my feeling is that the odds are stacked against the builder. It only takes some minor detail to fail it - I'm not criticising the examiners as they have to do it by the book - but there are so many seemingly minor issues that can constititute a fail.
95% there and it will pass next time for sure.
Cheers, Pewe

DarrenW

posted on 21/10/08 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
All in all it sounds like a good fail and you should be justly proud.
Shame he didnt let you adjust the emissions.

jabbahutt

posted on 21/10/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers all

I was suprised that he wouldn't let me adjust the mixture screw whilst connected to his test kit.

I'm really happy with the result as at least I know that it's safe and I have an actual list to go off now so I can take my time and make sure each bit is done.

nick205

posted on 21/10/08 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Howdy Nigel!

Sounds like a very good first run to me with only minor and easily remedied points to correct. the best bit is having a defined list of jobs to work through to get the pass. Not like the actual build where there's always that niggling uncertainty.

Should be on for a re-test in a week or two, then on the road

Are you going to tax and drve over the winter? IMHO it's some of the best driving you'll get if you're OK with the cold. The weather here is clear, sunny and with a nice crisp edge to the air which really makes the engine feel that bit sharper

Good Luck!

whitestu

posted on 21/10/08 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I used a couple of inches of self adhesive foam suck over a bead of silicon sealant to get over the body joint.

It looked a mess, but passed OK.

Stu

[Edited on 21/10/08 by whitestu]

maartenromijn

posted on 21/10/08 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Though luck, but looking good for the next test.

Some hose manufacturers have a download copy of the 'certificate of conformity' on their website. More than once I have downloaded certificates from hydraulic hose manufacturers in the marine industry.

Good luck for the next test!

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

BenB

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
The only tricky one perhaps is the emissions because it's difficult to correct it without access to the emissions testing rig. Perhaps a bit mean not to let you have a quick adjustment, mine even let me adjust the speedo on the rolling road test rig. Perhaps he was in a hurry....
jabbahutt

posted on 21/10/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
worst case with the emissions, there is a mobile tuner that does emissions testing etc so I could get him out to check it and tweak if necessary for half the price of insurance and small garage charge for the same thing.

Only downside is not going for a blat if I use the mobile service.

adithorp

posted on 21/10/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hard luck. Thats not a bad fail though as they go. Probably a case of they let you fiddle if thats all it's failing on.

Now you've got a diffinative list to get done.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

RK

posted on 21/10/08 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a pretty positive experience overall. I'd feel fairly good about that if it were me.

In my province, they apparently look for 3 main things: lights, does the thing steer straight and go around corners in a parking lot, and are the major parts legitimately obtained. I suppose I'll find out next summer!

John22000

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hiya Nigel,

What can I say......
Gutted for you really I am, but as the others have said, all in all a pretty positive fail if ever there was such a thing.

I'm sure you won't be too down about it and will have everything sorted really soon.

I kind of get the impression that Adi's hit the nail on the head if there is a possibility of a first time pass then the testers seem to go all out to help, but once they hit something that cannot be overcome on the day (maybe, the documentation for the hoses) they kind of think 'game over'. Did they get round to the emmissions after the fuel pipe issue by any chance.

In my case the emmissions were the last stumbling block, so the tester even got a few colleagues over, in the end there were 3 of them trying to get the emmisions low enough for a pass.....!!!

I'm sure you'll have is sorted soon enough and when I get back to good old England (never thought I would be saying that...!!) I'll be round for a closer look...!!

John.

Lars

posted on 22/10/08 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
You wont need a mobile emmissions tester, with a fail certificate you can drive to any prearranged appointment at a garage to fix fail points.

Lars

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.