Board logo

GETTING POWER DOWN IN V8
daniel mason - 1/2/09 at 11:59 AM

From your experiences,is it difficult to get power down in sevens with V8 engines.
Just thought that with the extra torque and well over 200 BHP from a 4.0 V8 things could get quite tricky!!! Have never driven one but am in the market for another 7 which is going to be used for road use only! Have seen a westy V8 in red on P/H and wanted info from V8 fans thanks!

Daimo_45 - 1/2/09 at 12:26 PM

I'd be more worried about the handling with such an anchor!!!

MikeR - 1/2/09 at 12:30 PM

the all alloy 'rover' v8 engine weights around the same as a pinto and slightly more than a VX.

I remember reading a comment from a bloke in Sweeden from the sevens list who thought the handling of his car improved when he upgraded from crossflow to VX as it became more predictable (which is what he wanted in a road car - he was also a rather successful racer)

greggors84 - 1/2/09 at 01:45 PM

There are so many V8 sevens about and most seem to use the Rover, as said its all alloy and pretty much the same as a pinto (how many are there of those!!).

As for getting the power down you shouldnt struggle too much in the dry, just need to be a bit more considerate with the right foot. I found an airfield trackday brilliant for finding out what I could and couldnt do with my car especially mid corner. More than I dared do on the road anyway! Now im more than happy to let it power slide out of a roundabout (well try anyway....)

Paradoxia0 - 1/2/09 at 02:50 PM

I have a Viento with a 4.2 Rover V8 in it. Getting the power down is pretty easy to be fair... As long as you don't drive stupid in the dry you can get lots of power down easily. In the wet you do have to be a bit more careful... I go caught out at 30 in 3rd gear in the cold/damp when I went to overtake a lorry and ended up pointing back where I came from!

My biggest concern with the V8 is the low MPG... (one reason why I am seriously considering selling mine )

Mark

Danozeman - 1/2/09 at 04:32 PM

Forget all that just think of the noise!!!!

bitsilly - 1/2/09 at 05:34 PM

I had a Westfield which eventually had a tuned John Eales 4.6 Rover.
It was insane.
There was no warning when traction would go and it would go frequently. The handling was nowhere near a light car.That said, I loved it.
At 90 you could accelerate like leaving the lights!
I was lucky to survive it!