Board logo

Front Canti Suspension
want2race - 22/4/05 at 04:55 PM

I've seen several people using this setup but what worries me is the amount of space needed to get the geometry all right and proper.

Does anyone know of a site or pictures that explain/show or demonstrate how the system can work and possibly all the physics that are needed to make it work.
I have a feeling I understand the physics but the other parts may not be so simple.

Thanks gents!

~Jonathan

kb58 - 22/4/05 at 06:14 PM

Is this the same as a rocker-arm suspension? If so that's what I use at the front of my car. I used the Staniforth book and some equations to work out where things had to go to make the shock ratio 1.0.

want2race - 22/4/05 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kb58
Is this the same as a rocker-arm suspension? If so that's what I use at the front of my car. I used the Staniforth book and some equations to work out where things had to go to make the shock ratio 1.0.

Yep.

I presume one would want a 1:1 ratio?

Mechanical advantage sounds good but I think it would be a pain to calculate dampening forces with that advantage.. Spring rates would be tolerable..

Am I wrong?

kb58 - 22/4/05 at 08:03 PM

When I bought my Koni shocks, I was surprised all they needed to know were my spring rates. When I asked why didn't they need dozens of other parameters, they said it all boils down to the spring rate...

About the damping forces, no, it makes it especially easy if you have 1.0 shock ratio. What ever force the tire hits is what the shock is damping.

[Edited on 4/22/05 by kb58]

pbura - 22/4/05 at 08:16 PM

Try searching "inboard shock" and "inboard suspension"; you'll find a lot of threads.

Great way to go, IMO.

Pete

iwbunting - 24/4/05 at 05:02 PM

Try this

http://www.7builder.com

Think it maybe waht you are looking for.

MikeP - 25/4/05 at 02:48 AM

Direct link is here: http://www.7builder.com/Downloads/BobsShocks.html

I'd think the biggest advantage of inboard & cantilevered would be using bike shocks at more than 1:1. M/C twin adjustment coil overs can be had off ebay pretty cheap.

I got myself a pair as part of a bundle of parts, and had it confirmed for me why they're so cheap... One was spattered with what first appeared to be light brown mud but upon closer examination - yuck!

kb58 - 25/4/05 at 03:08 AM

Ewwww....