Board logo

Which chassis to buy?
designer - 7/5/07 at 07:47 PM

I want to buy my lad a chaasis to start him off building.

Which chassis is best suited to a 6ft 1in lad?

stuart_g - 7/5/07 at 07:56 PM

the new GBS zero 7

Catpuss - 7/5/07 at 08:01 PM

Well I'm 6'4" and went for an MK Indy.

designer - 7/5/07 at 08:03 PM

What's a GBS zero 7

shades - 7/5/07 at 08:04 PM

Tiger Avon is probably a bit short. i'm just over 6' and have titted floor mounted pedals to give me more room...

Pezza - 7/5/07 at 08:05 PM

I'm 6'2" and the Indy is a easy fit for me
Had a pre-lit westy before and it was a proper tight fit, knees up round a button sized steering wheel made long trips uncomfortable.

stuart_g - 7/5/07 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by designer
What's a GBS zero 7

Sorry, it's the new car from Great British Sports Cars and it's called a zero 7. It was launched at Stoneleigh yesterday. Not sure if it's even on their website yet.

dave1888 - 7/5/07 at 08:12 PM

Im sure the zero 7 is a robin hood chassis

designer - 7/5/07 at 08:15 PM

It's not the new thing with the ugly nose is it?

wilkingj - 7/5/07 at 08:35 PM

Look at all the kit cars, thats the point of the likes of Stoneleigh. You can see all and sundry there and talk to manufacturers and owners alike.

Some things will suit you, and some wont. Everyone one here has their favourites and reasons.

As for me, do look at the Luego Viento, especially if you are on the large size.

Plenty of room in the cab area, and under the bonnet for a V8 or a straight 6 etc.

Hellfire - 7/5/07 at 08:39 PM

quote:

No that's an MNR - GTS is a nice Kit, not to be confused.

Have a look around all the kits and decide for yourself... they all have there faults in some form or another. Personally I'd go for someone local as it easier to sort out the problems which you are bound to face at some time or another.

Steve

Wadders - 7/5/07 at 08:45 PM

As said, best bet is to go sit in them all before deciding. They all have subtle differences in relation to steering wheel/pedal position that could win you over. You can't really make a recommendation based on height alone, everyones body shape is different, long/short legs or arms, build etc.

Al.

stuart_g - 7/5/07 at 09:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
Im sure the zero 7 is a robin hood chassis

Robinhood is now Great british sports cars

stuart_g - 7/5/07 at 09:12 PM

quote:

No, that was a different model and it is ugly. The zero 7 was released on the Sunday at the show, they had a chassis on a stand and a car they were in the process of building, looked really good.

DRC INDY 7 - 7/5/07 at 09:12 PM

Lets hope the zero 7 is not a another dodgy lightweight coke can

stuart_g - 7/5/07 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7

The zero 7 is a traditional steel square section and some round section chassis, wishbone front and rear e.t.c. The lightweight was a tin can and thankfully now been dropped.

Mark Allanson - 7/5/07 at 10:42 PM

I don't think that any of the seven derivatives have a driver height issue. My book chassis with seats with a 4" squab and a 4" gap behind the seats is fine for my mere 5'8". Without the seat thickness and my 'map' storage area, an extra 8" legroom would be available (giving an additional 16" extra height would be possible - that makes it 7'0" max)

mangogrooveworkshop - 8/5/07 at 12:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g
the new GBS zero 7

Dont go there

RK - 8/5/07 at 02:37 AM

http://www.mnrltd.co.uk/index2.html

Never seen one though - they just look good in pics. I haven't actually seen any sevens of any kind in the flesh since about 1985. I am so looking forward to my chassis delivery though!!

locostv8 - 8/5/07 at 03:53 AM

Does rather look like the nose was taken from a garden tractor.

[Edited on 8/5/07 by locostv8]

mark_mcd - 8/5/07 at 12:22 PM

quote:

RHS do indeed do one.
http://www.robinhoodsportscars.co.uk/news.php
scroll down...

Personally I quite like the MNR

Anyone got any photos from Stonleigh of the new Lightweight Robin Hood?

stuart_g - 8/5/07 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark_mcd
quote:

RHS do indeed do one.
http://www.robinhoodsportscars.co.uk/news.php
scroll down...

Personally I quite like the MNR

Anyone got any photos from Stonleigh of the new Lightweight Robin Hood?

This nose is from the robinhood RS which is ugly as anything. The new car is a more traditionally styled 7. The lightweight is dead and buried as they don't produce it anymore.

chrisg - 8/5/07 at 02:51 PM

Had a 6 foot seven guy in the Haynes Roadster yesterday.

Cheers

Chris

Mark Allanson - 8/5/07 at 06:47 PM

Did it hurt?

Simon W - 8/5/07 at 06:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK

Never seen one though - they just look good in pics. I haven't actually seen any sevens of any kind in the flesh since about 1985. I am so looking forward to my chassis delivery though!!

Looks like a tractor

Edit> Ooops, someone beat me to it!

[Edited on 8/5/07 by Simon W]

martyn_16v - 8/5/07 at 07:10 PM

I hated the new MNR when I first saw it, it's starting to grow on me now though. I think it looks a bit Hannibal Lecter in that pic

This would be the new RH/GBS chassis then, I managed to have a look at it and take a picture without twigging at the time that it was new

[Edited on 8/5/07 by martyn_16v]

stuart_g - 8/5/07 at 08:03 PM

That's it, the new chassis, has anyone a pic of the actual car which was next to it? What an imptovement over the existing chassis.

flak monkey - 8/5/07 at 08:18 PM

I wrote a long reply and just lost it: b@stard net connection.

I would say GTS, only for the fallout it would incurr

Seriously, get yourself to a show, look around the car and blag a few rides and then make a decision. The next big show is newark.

There are small differences between the kits, that may attract you to one more than the other. I will give you some ideas:

GTS - better panel fit than most, de dion back end as std, oval tube wishbones with quick camber adjuster. Rear bulkhead 25mm taller than std for ease of complying with sva with seatbelts.

MK - that bonnet scoop, u shaped, round tube wishbones, a bolt on roll bar as std (not, IMO a good idea), helpful chaps, big social group. IRS as std

Mac#1 - pretty much the same as the MK (hides). IRS as std

MNR - that unique scuttle/bonnet and new tractor face lift. Almost solely round tube chassis. IRS as std.

scotmac - 8/5/07 at 11:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g
quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7

The zero 7 is a traditional steel square section and some round section chassis, wishbone front and rear e.t.c. The lightweight was a tin can and thankfully now been dropped.

Yes, the new 07 l/w looks to be a fairly nice locost chassis.

However, please note that, though the original l/w does need strategic strengthening, it is far from a tin-can. W/ that strategic strengthening, you end up w/ a torsionally strong, lightweight, unique final product.

[Edited on 8/5/07 by scotmac]

RK - 9/5/07 at 01:26 AM

I think the new MNR grows on you. You have to look at the whole car and not just the nose alone. The bonnet scoop is not my thing though. I'd have something else - bulge or an asymmetric one.

Catpuss - 9/5/07 at 07:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
MK - that bonnet scoop, u shaped, round tube wishbones, a bolt on roll bar as std (not, IMO a good idea), helpful chaps, big social group. IRS as std

The roll bar is either weld on or bolt on as standard, your choice. You can either have welded on or bolt on depending if you want to chrome it later. They say the bolt on is not quite as strong. As I was having it all powder coated it was a weld on.

The only concert with the GBS chassis is if construction has improved or not. My mate's 2B was straight at least but they had to re-do all the brackets as holes didn't line up.

flak monkey - 9/5/07 at 07:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Catpuss
The roll bar is either weld on or bolt on as standard, your choice. You can either have welded on or bolt on depending if you want to chrome it later. They say the bolt on is not quite as strong. As I was having it all powder coated it was a weld on.

I stand corrected

The welded in roll bar will add to stiffness in some areas, not sure how beneficial it will be though, never carried out any analysis. I wouldnt want to roll one with a roll bar thats held in with 8 rivnuts (as I have seen on too many occasions).

David

iank - 9/5/07 at 08:27 PM

Worth talking to procomp, especially if you want to go racing.

There is also the new book chassis available as the Roadrunner (MK Engineering)
http://www.mkdevelopments.co.uk/roadsterpricelist.htm

Catpuss - 10/5/07 at 08:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
quote:
Originally posted by Catpuss

I stand corrected

The welded in roll bar will add to stiffness in some areas, not sure how beneficial it will be though, never carried out any analysis. I wouldnt want to roll one with a roll bar thats held in with 8 rivnuts (as I have seen on too many occasions).

David

Jeezzzus I'd use a collection of but FOAD bolts through the thick plate, but _rivnuts_. Thats just asking for a squished head in the roll.

scudracer - 11/5/07 at 09:55 AM

Heard there's a new chassis being designed by some former Lotus Engineering design engineer. Should be interesting!