Board logo

Powder Coated Chassis
jnormandale - 12/7/08 at 08:03 PM

Dear all has been a while since I last posted.

I am the new owner of a 1996 caterham chassis. However the powder coating on the chasis and wishbones has started to flake away with surface rust in various places.

What is the best way to repaint the chassis. Will I have to remove the powder coating and paint it, or is there anyway that I can re-powdercoat the chassis?

[Edited on 09/12/2007 by jnormandale]

mr henderson - 12/7/08 at 08:43 PM

My inclination would be to wire brush the flaking areas, or anywhere else you suspect the coating is loose, and then paint the bare areas. Trying to remove ALL the powder coating is a task more difficult than ot is worth

John

rusty nuts - 12/7/08 at 08:47 PM

Try some paint stripper . Worked on my rusty/flaking wishbones . Used an angle grinder with a wire brush (the tool) for final cleaning

Hellfire - 12/7/08 at 09:10 PM

I'm sure you can get the chassis re-powder coated without removing the old powder coat. I've seen one done before and you couldn't tell it had been done twice. Certainly worth investigating.

Phil

thunderace - 12/7/08 at 10:14 PM

wire brush it sand it to remove the rust and buy some powder and dust it on and hear it with a heat gun thats ho they sort out scratches on the job .
you can buy the powder on ebay and a powder spray gun and a heat gun.

thunderace - 12/7/08 at 10:17 PM

http://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/

watch the demo

[Edited on 12/7/08 by thunderace]

Furry - 28/7/08 at 02:27 PM

i had the same problem with my westfield and after considering a number of different options. i decided that a good chassis is central to a good car, so had the chassis and linked components blasted and re powder coated. best £250 i have spent on the car it looks like new.

ceebmoj - 30/7/08 at 11:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
http://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/

watch the demo

[Edited on 12/7/08 by thunderace]

very cool

MakeEverything - 6/8/08 at 01:58 AM

Ive got a powder coater near me with an over big enough for a chassis to fit in. Guess where mines going once its finished!