Board logo

BEC Engine Position?
lsdweb - 30/10/08 at 02:40 PM

Hi All
My Westfield chassis has just gone off to MVS for repair and all the mods. I was looking at it yesterday and wondering how far back I can place the R1 engine. I'm tempted to shorten the passenger footwell (it'll probably never carry a passenger!) and get the engine back as much as possible. I haven't measured yet so don't know if the driver's footwell would prevent this anyway.

I was wondering if anybody else has done this - lots of the BECs I see have the engine quite a long way forward of the 'normal' sideways chassis member.

Regards

Wyn

lightspear27 - 30/10/08 at 03:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
(it'll probably never carry a passenger!)
Wyn

Place the engine where the passenger use to be

gingerprince - 30/10/08 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lightspear27
Place the engine where the passenger use to be

Close. Place the second engine where the passenger used to be

matt_claydon - 30/10/08 at 04:36 PM

Surely a BEC is already tail-heavy with driver and tank of fuel (very much so with passenger too), I woudn't have thought there would be any benefit getting weight any further back.

motorcycle_mayhem - 30/10/08 at 04:41 PM

I've found it a question of balance. Even when hanging my GSXR750 in the 'usual' Westfield position, it's difficult to get the corner weights right. The heavier GSXR1300 did balance out though.

IF I wasn't held off by the regulations 'engine must be in the same position and orientation as originally specified by the manufacturer' - it would be exactly where the passenger should sit, with a short shaft/coupling to the diff.
I did this with the Clan, had the 'Blade mounted right alongside the driver, pipes amusingly exiting the passenger door. The induction roar was an ear-bleeding experience, even with plugs and a helmet.
But, went, handled beautifully.

mark chandler - 30/10/08 at 06:14 PM

Mines got a shortened passenger footwell.

Although the chassis is upside down in the picture you can see I took advantage of this by increasing the triangulation across the engine bay.

My only regret is that I could have come back an extra 2" more with the engine.

Regards Mark Rescued attachment Chassis front 2 april 2006 small.JPG
Rescued attachment Chassis front 2 april 2006 small.JPG

mark chandler - 30/10/08 at 06:17 PM

I should add, I grew the driver footwell in width, later r1 engines are also shorter as they have stacked the gearbox to allow for a longer swinging arm.

[Edited on 30/10/08 by mark chandler] Rescued attachment Engine cradle #3 2 Jan 2006 small.JPG
Rescued attachment Engine cradle #3 2 Jan 2006 small.JPG