Board logo

zx9r turbo in mk indy
evo.rocks - 10/11/09 at 10:27 AM

Iinstead of an engine swap, i may look going down the route of whacking a turbo on my ZX9R E2 (carbs) engine.

Has this ever been done and does anybody no how the engine will react with a turbo on it?

Will it blow up straight away or will it be quite stable?

imp paul - 10/11/09 at 11:08 AM

hi no it wont just go bang if you do it right and run low boost like 6 or7 psi would be fine use a turbo like a tdo4 and a power commander and a begi fuel reg should be fun

evo.rocks - 10/11/09 at 11:48 AM

i think i may go down this route then.

Would the standard pistons be ok to use?

What sort of stuff would i need, here is a list of what i think i need, anything i miss can some please let me no:

Turbo.
New manifold and exhaust
wastegate
intercooler
piping for the above
fuel management
boost controller
some sort of intake manifold fabricated on to the carbs

imp paul - 10/11/09 at 12:18 PM

you will need 1 plenum 2 waste gate unless internal type 3 better fuel pump like Bosch 044 pump 4 Fuel Regulator 5Clutch upgrade kit 6manifold to fit your turbo this is just a few bits you will need on your list of goody's and only to build a low boost motor if you want to go for more power it will start to cost lots of penny's eg pistons rods cam gears studs headgasget and so on

evo.rocks - 10/11/09 at 01:35 PM

i am just going for the low boost set up, which turbo would you recomend?

imp paul - 10/11/09 at 02:19 PM

Mitsubishi tdo4 is used by lots i like gt28rs but its a bit overkill for your job as you say low boost approx 6 or 7 psi would be sweet

evo.rocks - 10/11/09 at 02:49 PM

ok thanks for the help. Have you a rough idea of price to buy all of this kit?

A1 - 10/11/09 at 11:49 PM

what kind of power advantage would it give you?
just thought-insurance

evo.rocks - 12/11/09 at 10:55 PM

i am not sure what kind of gains i would get but turbos allways give big gains, does anybody know??

rob2005 - 13/11/09 at 08:54 AM

Even running low boost you should get a 20/30bhp gain i would have thought.

Im also considering a turbo for my ZX12 engine but again i didnt want massive boost or any internal work and a few people have installed them and get a reliable power.

Let me know how you get on..