Board logo

Legality
l0rd - 8/7/09 at 07:57 AM

Assuming that i only buy the chassis and bodywork from this post:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=116517#

Would i need to put it again through IVA?

Obviously would need engine/gearbox/diff etc.....

but the car is allready SVA'd

What happens?

Mr Whippy - 8/7/09 at 08:41 AM

if you also get the log book then its the same car but you'll probably have to inform the DVLA of the new engine number at some point if you want to sell it on. As gearbox and diff numbers arn't recorded by the DVLA they will be none the wiser.

suparuss - 8/7/09 at 08:41 AM

im no expert but the chassis number is on the chassis and nothing else, jsut need to inform dvla of he new engine number, body colour or whatever else changes, as long as the chassis number and reg are the same.

l0rd - 8/7/09 at 08:50 AM

Would the V5 be sold with the chassis?

omega0684 - 8/7/09 at 08:57 AM

my question would be

'why would you want to do that!?'

if the car is already SVA'd and road legal why would you want to put yourself through the expense (& hassel) of IVA when the car is already on the road?

just buy the whole car and then put whatever engine you want in it and sell the other one, then just tell the DVLA of the engine change

job done

[Edited on 8/7/09 by omega0684]

James - 8/7/09 at 09:30 AM

I'm probably missing something, but why not use the engine as well?

Looks like a good engine. 175bhp from a 1.6 isn't to be sniffed at!

Cheers,
James

l0rd - 8/7/09 at 10:06 AM

Well.

I am not after a high performance car.

i need something for fun not racing.

02GF74 - 8/7/09 at 10:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
Well.

and the problem is??

1.6 with 175 bhp is high performance, depending who you talk to, others will say not.

Just be gently with the right foot and you'll be fine.

You have to factor in cost and time of work to fit in a lesser engine - I will have a 1300 crossflow for sale soonish....

l0rd - 8/7/09 at 10:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Well.

and the problem is??

1.6 with 175 bhp is high performance, depending who you talk to, others will say not.

Just be gently with the right foot and you'll be fine.

You have to factor in cost and time of work to fit in a lesser engine - I will have a 1300 crossflow for sale soonish....

I was thinking of going down the MX5 engine.

It's just that the car has so many good things that i don't really want. I will be satisfied with a lot less.

It's the fact that is a LHD one that i am keen to.

02GF74 - 8/7/09 at 10:55 AM

quote:

It's just that the car has so many good things that i don't really want. I will be satisfied with a lot less.

oooh, you are so easy to please .... but surelyt it is gonna cost you time and money to remove things that you don;t want?

unless weight is an issue, then there is not much point in doing this - just don't use the things fitted that you don't want, cover with gaffa tape so you don;t even see them .... or am I missing the point completely???