Board logo

V.I.N request....don't bother.....
AndyW - 22/4/13 at 07:09 PM

Spoke to dvla who state on their website to apply for a vin. They had no clue as to why someone would want to apply for a vin, so they put me through to vosa who credit where credit is due. The lady I spoke to said just make up your own, check it with dvla and away you go. She even said use part of the car make/model and some mix of random or memorable dates. As long as its 17 digits and in the right place.

Anyone else been told this. Or is it best to write to dvla ???

Ta

Andy

[Edited on 22/4/13 by AndyW]

rdodger - 22/4/13 at 07:10 PM

I just wrote to the local DVLA office and they sent me one.

big_wasa - 22/4/13 at 07:17 PM

I also wrote to the local DVLA office and they sent me a number. But I've since had a follow up letter to ask why its not yet been registered and did I intend to do so. Reason, The local branch at Peterborough is due to close and will all be done centrally and my number may then not exist.

carlknight1982 - 22/4/13 at 07:43 PM

Text u

DavidW - 22/4/13 at 07:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
I just wrote to the local DVLA office and they sent me one.

Me too although not sure if the local DVLA office is still there?

tomgregory2000 - 22/4/13 at 07:50 PM

I made up my own using model of car and birthday and some randoms thrown in, but made sure its 17 dig long and in correct place

bi22le - 22/4/13 at 08:27 PM

This got asked a few months ago.

My old Mac1 had a vin something like:

MAC1WORXGSRX1000C

A little bit of bling in my eyes but quite call.

Dusty - 23/4/13 at 07:57 AM

Just remember if you make one up do not use the letters I O and Q. These letters are not valid in a VIN to avoid confusion with the numbers 0 and 1. (You can use Z,7 and 2 which can't possibly be confused if badly stamped or a bit worn.)

Paul W - 23/4/13 at 08:02 AM

newcastle dvla told me I could make my own, so I did, no probs

DavidW - 23/4/13 at 08:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
Just remember if you make one up do not use the letters I O and Q. These letters are not valid in a VIN to avoid confusion with the numbers 0 and 1. (You can use Z,7 and 2 which can't possibly be confused if badly stamped or a bit worn.)

Oddly the VIN that Norwich DVLA sent me and an I in it. I decided to ignore them and use it as a 1.

tomgregory2000 - 23/4/13 at 06:54 PM

My vin had 1 and 0 and was fine

tango man - 23/4/13 at 07:13 PM

mine failed iva on chassis number because it had i and 1 in as supplied by mk engineering ,had to stamp a plate n weld on top of old number they wudnt let me make i as 1 cos there was a space a bit wider than the rest , came from factory like it,

doobrychat - 27/4/13 at 12:44 PM

I too made mine up with manufacture then model then date purchased then date number stamped on chassis

so MK1NDY2012******** etc

Danny @ MK said make your own.. so i did..