Board logo

Motaleira Hydraulic suspension in Progress!
nitram38 - 22/4/10 at 02:47 PM

Received my shocks today, the rams yesterday. Ordered springs from faulkner, delivery Monday.
Waiting for pump.
Probably not going to fit for a while because I want to go to Newark (possibly the Monday Stoneleigh).
I'm working 10 nights straight.
Anyway enjoy the pics!

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 22/4/2010 by nitram38]

speedyxjs - 22/4/10 at 03:09 PM

Will be good when its all fitted

mangogrooveworkshop - 22/4/10 at 03:14 PM

May need your advice martin when we bag the p100

sucksqueezebangblow - 22/4/10 at 03:26 PM

Are you just using it for ride height or are you going to use it for anti-roll as well?

russbost - 22/4/10 at 04:05 PM

Stop messing about & go for a full computerised active setup!

nitram38 - 22/4/10 at 05:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow
Are you just using it for ride height or are you going to use it for anti-roll as well?

The idea of the rams is to keep the spring rate constant no matter what height the car is running at. The only limiting factor is the open length of the shock.

My air spring shocks, air pump, gauge and tubing etc will be up for sale once I swap the them out.

gingerprince - 22/4/10 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
The idea of the rams is to keep the spring rate constant no matter what height the car is running at. The only limiting factor is the open length of the shock.

Does that matter though? Surely you'll only be using the "high" setting for speed bumps etc, not for actual driving etc since camber etc will change with height.

nitram38 - 22/4/10 at 08:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

Does that matter though? Surely you'll only be using the "high" setting for speed bumps etc, not for actual driving etc since camber etc will change with height.

Thats the plan, but my air suspension spring rate varies depending on height settings and can catch you out if its set too soft.
If I accidently don't return the hydraulic suspension fully, I shouldn't get any nasty surprises in corners.

I also designed my camber change over a greater suspension travel to allow for different ride heights, so my camber isn't too severe

[Edited on 22/4/2010 by nitram38]

blakep82 - 22/4/10 at 08:56 PM

how do they work? is the red thing the hydraulic cylinder? so it just pushes the spring away from the seat?
looks good. might think about adding something similar to mine at some point. its going to be very very low with the front bumper on...

nitram38 - 23/4/10 at 06:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
how do they work? is the red thing the hydraulic cylinder? so it just pushes the spring away from the seat?
looks good. might think about adding something similar to mine at some point. its going to be very very low with the front bumper on...

Yes it lifts the spring only so when fully retracted there is a solid platform for the spring to sit.
The only limit is the extent of your shocks, so you will have to ensure you can extend them that far. Shorter springs will be required too. My 17" shocks sit at around 14.5" and will take 8" springs with my set up.
Apart from Ramliftpro and KW suspension in the states there are no UK suppliers.
I'm going to try and get them made over here as cheap as I can and supply the pumps too.
I already have the pump costs, just need to get quotes for making and supplying the rams. I also want to ensure that they are UK standards, easy to get new seals and make sure the pipe threads are easy to obtain.
I'll supply one size to fit a 2.5" spring with adapter ring to fit 2.25" springs.
If anyone has a shock for 2.5" springs let me know the outer diameter of the shock body please.

Any opinions on how many wheels you guys want to lift? 2 wheel or 4 wheel kits?
I get the impression most cars will just raise the front.
I'm putting a 4 wheel kit on the MotaLeira and a mate is going to fit a 2 wheel kit to his Diablo replica.

I'm also looking for a resevour supplier if you spot one!

[Edited on 23/4/2010 by nitram38]

blakep82 - 23/4/10 at 06:47 AM

ah cool
er, 2 whhel kit would do, but ideally 4 wheel depending on price. my front bumper only clears the road by about 70mm at the moment. the rear is a lot higher, but a for wheel kit would look better

nitram38 - 23/4/10 at 01:39 PM

Pump arrived today, so springs and a day or two off required!

nitram38 - 26/4/10 at 12:42 PM

Springs from Faulkner today.
Im gonna wait a while to fit them as the springs might not work (calculated rate) and I need to get the hoses made.
I don't want the car out of action for the shows.

Description
Description

[Edited on 26/4/2010 by nitram38]

nitram38 - 18/5/10 at 02:48 PM

I got a couple of hours in changing the front shocks out. No hydraulic connections yet. I want to test drive it tomorrow to make sure the springs/shocks work properly.
The car feels ok when I jump up and down in it but it needs a proper road test.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

nitram38 - 4/6/10 at 02:59 PM

Rear rams and shocks fitted today.
Plumbing of pump still required.
The main thing is that my springs/shocks work as they should.

Description
Description

Description
Description

[img][/img]

khm - 13/6/10 at 02:16 PM

very interested in a set of these (4) for my new project, looked at KW's but didn't like the cost !! any idea of what price you will be charging ??
struggle to even get the car on/off the trailer LOL

nitram38 - 13/6/10 at 02:29 PM

khm check ur u2u