Board logo

None-sense question?
pewe - 10/8/13 at 05:57 PM

So I removed the front hub, outer taper roller bearing as there was something clicking in that area.
Cleaned it using my favourite cleaner - petrol with a bit of diesel added.
Bearing looks OK - no picks or scores.
Blow it out with the air-line and think what a nice whistling noise it's making as as it rotates between my finger and thumb.
Bearing spins faster and faster - more and more noise - little things please little minds etc.
"Frick me" I think "that must be turning at a good few thousand revs".
Suddenly without warning the whole lot explodes showering the rollers and inner all over the place and damn near taking my fingers off.
Fortunately I was wearing thick PVC gloves so only slight bruising.
So the question is - was the bearing defective or because the rollers weren't contained by the race was it my own stupid fault?
Answers on a postcard.......
Cheers, Pewe10

Carbonman - 10/8/13 at 06:38 PM

Think you have answered your own questions

Using the airline will have spun the bearing at a much higher rpm than it was designed for. Taper bearings of this sort are designed for low speed high load applications ie a wheel bearing
The cage is only there to keep the rollers separated at the correct spacing, the outer retains them.
You should never run a bearing "dry" even at low rpm.

At least you haven't been badly hurt.

SteveMX5 - 10/8/13 at 06:40 PM

Of the two choices, definitely the latter

Fred W B - 10/8/13 at 08:04 PM

quote:

was it my own stupid fault?

yes...

Cheers

Fred W B

Daddylonglegs - 10/8/13 at 09:14 PM

Bet you can't guess where my vote is?

At least you;ve still got all your pinkies though, I think they say "lesson learned"

NigeEss - 11/8/13 at 12:07 AM

Bearing + airline = good game.......................... Done it several times but obviously been very lucky so far

trikerneil - 11/8/13 at 05:09 AM

Neil

owelly - 11/8/13 at 06:27 AM

Ah yes, the Bearing Races! We used to get bearings and race them across the yard. Big bearings would howl once up to speed and when you drop them, they do a bi of a dance and then feck-off really quickly! Nightshifts saw big sparky rooster tails. As an alternative to bearings, spin a nut on a Phillips screwdriver shaft and then let it slie of onto the floor. Spinning nuts can be a bit more unpredictable as they can jump up and knock your teeth out. A 2" nut is a bit of a handfull.
All of the aforementioned is fool-hardy and dangerous and not recommended.

dave r - 11/8/13 at 07:58 AM

got the t shirt, and the bruises

dave_424 - 11/8/13 at 09:38 AM

Just like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBX_8Y1o5hU

[Edited on 11/8/13 by dave_424]