Board logo

Aluminium Brake Hats, which grade?
MonkeyHunter - 15/2/05 at 05:52 PM

Hi, I need to get some brake hats machined up; i can get the machining done gratis, but need to supply the Aluminium. So which grade should I be looking for? Would HE30T be up to the job? Also anyone know where i can get some 8.5" round bar, around 120mm long in the required grade?

Cheers,
Scott.

Volvorsport - 15/2/05 at 07:06 PM

what diameter discs are the brake hats for ? If i get you some can i have some aswell ?

MonkeyHunter - 16/2/05 at 10:55 AM

Hi Volvosport,

Im sure we could come to some arrangement.

The Hats are for some monster Wilwood discs (specs below) I can just fit these under my 15" rims with wilwood dynalite calipers.

The hats would fit any disc with the same bolt circle (selection here), but i would need some specs off of you, like hat offset, center bore, and stud PCD. As my hats will be to fit a MR2 front hub, and have a lage offset (50mm) so everything clears the wheel.

Wilwood 11.75" (298.5) Diam - UL Curved Vane Rotor

Width: 1.25" (31.8)
Diameter: 11.75" (298.5)
No. of Mounting Holes: 8
Bolt Circle: 7.00" (177.8)
Hole Type: 0.326
Far Side ID: 8.34" (211.8)
Lug ID: 6.38" (162.0)
Weight (lbs): 8.9

Scott.

Matthew_1 - 16/2/05 at 11:30 AM

Hi,

I had to make custom disk bells to mount 300mm disks under 13" wheels, The offset I needed was only 5mm so it was a case of machining a 'donut' from 6061 grade ali.

I did a lot of asking (including Wilwood, AP-racing, TWR) around and the most common answer I got was that 6061 was the best grade offering enough stiffness and flexibility - aparently 7075 was too stiff.

And stupidly, the best place to buy it was in the US from http://www.onlinemetals.com/

The ali plate plus $20 postage was 1/3 the price of just the plate in the UK. AMetal of any description is an absolute ripoff here.

Bob C - 16/2/05 at 12:14 PM

I was advised that HE30 was the stuff to use with a material thickness not going below 7 to 8 mm.
This has been fine to date on a 1 ton (+) car front wheels.
I was also advised that hard anodising was the finish to use - but I never found anyone to do it at a reasonable price. I ended up paying £40 for finishing 2 ally peices that looked like breakfast bowls AND they came back different shades of grey! Fortunately you can only see one at a time.....
Cheers
Bob
Bob C

Volvorsport - 16/2/05 at 12:39 PM

well , i shall give my suppliers a call to see whats going on , and if i can get any . I was hoping youd say Monster 330mm discs hehe . ive got 287 mm discs as std on my car so ill have a looksie for the metal , and if i can get a decent upgrade for mine .

MonkeyHunter - 16/2/05 at 01:58 PM

Ok thanks, well let me know, U2U will prob be best. Wilwood do discs up to 331.7mm i think.... That should stop you in short order. Anything bigger than 300 wont fit under my wheels, and i certainly dont want to go bigger than 15" rims, as it will kill the performance.