Board logo

prop flange removal
ADD - 26/8/06 at 04:24 PM

Hi All,

Does anyone out there know how to remove the flange from the end of the prop?

Thanks in advace

Adam

Peteff - 26/8/06 at 05:14 PM

If it has staked joints you'll struggle but if circlips you can push it out with a vice and sockets, don't lose the bearings if you want to use it again. Remove the circlips or grind out the staking then put a small socket or a piece of round bar smaller than the head of the bearing cup on one side and a larger socket on the other side and wind the vice shut to push it through into the larger socket. It will all fall into place (or pieces) then turn it over and do the other side. Staked joints are not supposed to be reused but you can get a new yoke with circlips fitted from prop manufacturers.

JB - 26/8/06 at 07:00 PM

Staked.

Chances are the cap of the UJ will snap off. Then you have to use a punch to try to tap the remains of the cap out. Sometimes we used a gas axe to cut the cross.

Once the joint is out ream the holes (19mm). A prop firm will have a staking tool to fit new uj`s.

Circlip.

Get the circlip loose first so it will spin in the groove, then remove each one.

I used to use a vice and hammer to remove the UJ (if I was replacing the joint). 4 hits could get a joint out.

Before reassembly check the circlips grooves are clean.

John

PS I have changed 1000,s of uj`s.