Board logo

BMW hub to sierra driveshaft?
nludkin - 22/6/08 at 11:28 AM

I am currently designing a mid-engined car and will need to get some wide wheels on the back that are 19" to get enough ground clearance. However, using the sierra rear hubs I will have to shell out a fair bit for alloys that are upto the job (Ones on ebay are only ever go up to 18" )

So, my question is, does anyone know if there is a BMW rear hub that can bolt straight onto a sierra driveshaft? Then I could buy some BMW hubs, design around them and then have access to all the lovely cheap 18" 255 on the bay of e.

chrism - 22/6/08 at 11:35 AM

You could probably get some custom driveshafts made that have the correct splines on each end to connect to the sierra and bmw parts.

indykid - 22/6/08 at 12:12 PM

why do you need such stupidly big wheels to get enough ground clearance in something you're designing from scratch?

i'd look at the design of the suspension again before i started looking at new hubs and massive wheels.

tom

nludkin - 22/6/08 at 03:58 PM

I have decided to use a rover v8 bolted to an inverted renault un1. This gives a ground clearance of, well, not a great deal. 18" wheels with a profile of 255/40 would give the perfect ground clearance for the current design. Being that size of wheel it would probably be a 8.5J and could hold larger tread should I drop a more powerful rover lump in the future.

I could of course chop the sump and seriously butcher the current bellhousing, but I thought planning for larger rear wheels wouldn't necessarily be a bad plan?

Fred W B - 22/6/08 at 05:52 PM

The drive shafts don't have to be horizontial you know?

I can't understand why the transaxle chosen would constrain the ground clearnance?

Cheers

Fred W B