Board logo

Steering stops! How to
want2race - 17/9/08 at 02:19 PM

So initially I had my wheel turning way more than I needed and I constantly hit the inside edge of my rims on the upp control arms.

I asked and a few people suggested welding an external arm to limit travel but I came up with a better idea partially thanks to Woodward Steering.

My first idea was to find the max point, Mark it, Drill a hole and insert a bolt through the steering rack that would hit the body of the steering rack and limit motion.. It would work but its not tweakable.

Woodward suggested I get the type of clamp that you use on a wheel barrow and install one of those on each side. Its a U shaped piece with a flat bar at the bottom and 2 nuts.

That would work but I thought about it more and decided a shaft collor would be ideal. So I went to grainger, ordered 2 and tried.. They rock! very solid and work as planned.

If you guys need help, ill gladly give you any info I know

tegwin - 17/9/08 at 02:39 PM

The problem I found with those shaft clamps was that the standard boot struggled to fit over them....

So, I got a piece of alloy tube....slit down the middle and clipped over the track rod arm....cost nothing and does the job, plus I can adjust the amount of stop by filing the tube shorter a bit....

wicket - 17/9/08 at 02:56 PM

Jubilee clips work fine.

dan__wright - 17/9/08 at 02:57 PM

any pics of them installed? ive taken all the pain off from edge of my front wheels

Paul TigerB6 - 17/9/08 at 03:12 PM

A poly bush each side and hacksaw saw Nigel's (Jabbahutt) steering rack limited very nicely at the weekend.

BenB - 17/9/08 at 03:21 PM

Valve springs under the control boot also does the job and gives some self-centering for SVA

mad-butcher - 17/9/08 at 03:57 PM

and my way Rescued attachment limiter.jpg
Rescued attachment limiter.jpg

Hellfire - 17/9/08 at 07:02 PM

We machined some aluminium spacers and slipped them over the rack before fitting the steering arms.

Phil

Simon - 17/9/08 at 07:33 PM

I'm with Wicket - jubilee clips for me too

ATB

Simon