Board logo

1mm cutting discs... silverline? any good?
blakep82 - 3/1/12 at 08:53 PM

just bought these
eBay Item

been needing some for ages, but didn't really have £10 for 5, saw these ones, £5 for 10.
any good to anyone else? are silverline any good for these? any names i should be looking for next time around the same value?

or what about these from bluespot?
eBay Item
20 for under a tenner.

i bought both lots anyway

[Edited on 3/1/12 by blakep82]

NigeEss - 3/1/12 at 09:21 PM

I normally buy Flexovit, about £15 for a box of 25, I found these to last very well, much better than
the likes of Screwfix's or the ones Aldi have in from time to time.

jossey - 3/1/12 at 09:55 PM

I have the blue spot ones they cut really well but don't last too long. Worth the money though.

Silver line ones ain't much better though.

iiyama - 3/1/12 at 10:09 PM

Nothing that Silverline make is anygood at all, Made of cheese and full fat soft cheese at that!

hillbillyracer - 3/1/12 at 11:36 PM

I use these a lot at home & work, I got a box of 100 Norton BDX 115mm x 1mm discs at a local commercial vehicle/tool factors for £75 when they were on offer. So that's 75 pence a disc & they're good. Got a free coffee cup too!
At work we use Flexovit, dont know what they cost but they're at least as good as the Norton ones.
I did try a box of Klingspor ones as I found their 230mm discs to be good but they were crap, cut well but were much better at making dust!

I have had some Silverline stuff that was good, but I cant remember what it was! It'll all be bought in stuff & as such will vary in quality according to which supplier they use for that product. I was amused to see drag racing teams at Santa Pod sponsered by them, thought I bet they dont use it themselves!

907 - 4/1/12 at 06:25 AM

I can recommend the ones from Smith & Arrow. ( ebay number 120820069170 )

I buy them on a regular basis and have yet to use better.

Cheers,
Paul G

Tatey - 4/1/12 at 08:20 AM

Give some Dronco Evolution 1mm discs a try:

http://www.weldequip.com/1mm-cutting-disc-115mm.htm

I am onto my 3rd pack now and would never go back. They last for quite some time and I've never had one 'grenade' on me.

kipper - 4/1/12 at 10:32 AM

In my experience the silverline discs are at best rubbish and at worse dangerous. I tried them as my usual supplier was on holiday. Pay a bit more and get the good ones , they last longer.
Regards Denis.

blakep82 - 4/1/12 at 10:54 AM

dronco and smith & arrow are once i'd noticed, so will keep them in mind for next time! the video on the smith & arrow ones looks like they're well worth the money!

as for dangerous, the worst that can happen is it shatters i guess, but being that thin they don't seem to hold much momentum once they go. i've had once break in the past, and it was a new disc only on for a few minutes. can't remember what make it was, was a pack of 5 out of screwfix. but none of the disc reached me. i always wear gloves and a visor when cutting anyways, so i'll see how they go, worst that can happen is i put them in the bin and try some of the others suggested. cheers for the warning though! i'll try them with a bit of added caution

[Edited on 4/1/12 by blakep82]

TAZZMAXX - 4/1/12 at 11:02 AM

I've never used Silverline discs but anything of theirs I've ever brought is like market or car boot stuff, it's rubbish. As far as I know, Silverline was set up by the person who sold Screwfix some years ago. I can buy good quality cutting discs for around 50p each and top quality ones for about 10p a piece more, why would you need to buy Silverline. Buying cheap abrasives is like buying cheap holes saws, drill bits, screw driver sets (you know, the 1000 piece ones for £12.99), it's just false economy.