Board logo

Stripped Drain Plug Thread
Baldrick - 10/3/08 at 01:17 PM

The Gearbox drain plug hole on my old motorbike has stripped threads. The gearbox is Ally and the plug is steel. I need to repair and I guess there are a number of options.
1. Run new ally weld onto the old hole and then recut threads.
2. Recut the thread larger and get a larger plug
3. Helicoil insert down to original thread size.
Which do you think is the best/easiest solution. Is it true that a helicoil would not be suitable because oil would still leak? I've used them before but not in this sort of application.
Thanks,

RazMan - 10/3/08 at 01:19 PM

The easiest option would be to redrill and tap to a larger size imo, but that depends on whether you have sufficient metal to take the larger thread.

speedyxjs - 10/3/08 at 01:20 PM

I have no idea what helicoil is but i would think recutting a larger thread and getting a larger plug would be the easiest

MikeCapon - 10/3/08 at 01:22 PM

A helicoil should not provoke a leak as the sealing happens between the compressed face of the plug and the flat face surrounding the tapped hole. Is there not a fibre/copper washer there?

owelly - 10/3/08 at 01:43 PM

Or there is another alternative........
Use a tapered thread plug.
Whatever is the best size for your hole (!!) and as long as there is enough maet around the hole.

r1_pete - 10/3/08 at 01:45 PM

I've repaired similar in the past using a BSPT (Tapered BSP) plug, after re-tapping of course. Minimises the risk of stripping again as there is no shoulder to over tighten against.

bonzoronnie - 10/3/08 at 02:56 PM

Another vote for a re-tap

Ronnie

britishtrident - 10/3/08 at 05:14 PM

I would tap oversize --- try BSP tapered

Baldrick - 11/3/08 at 08:03 PM

Any idea where I would get a BSP tapered plug? Are they easy to get hold of? Current plug is 1/2" I think.

Thanks for all the input

907 - 11/3/08 at 08:22 PM

I once owned a ZX10 that had a parallel thread drain plug with a copper washer.
The copper washer had worn to a sort of cone shape. When I tightened it the coned washer caused the ally sump to split.
I still hear that metallic ping in my dreams.

For this reason I would not advise a tapered plug in ally.
I would use a straight thread and a NEW copper washer.

Paul G