Board logo

What car is this bodywork from, Caterham?
mr henderson - 24/4/09 at 12:29 PM

The bodywork fitted to this MK Locost doesn't fit. The way forward would seem to be to buy some correct stuff (any suggestions?) and to sell the current bodywork, which would be easier if I can identify it.

Note how the rear wings are designed for bodywork that curves inwards towards the rear, which means there's a big gap on flat stuff like this

The wing on this side (only) is cut away (moulded in) at the bottom, presumably to clear an exhaust?

Nose cone is too narrow, and has moulded in cutaways that don't relate to anything on this car

Surrey Dave - 24/4/09 at 12:38 PM

Looks like Caterham Lotus , the inner edge of the rear wings is curved like that, although those rear wings are narrower.

Yes moulded to miss exhaust when they used to have rear exit exhaust.

I'd like some like that!

D Beddows - 24/4/09 at 12:40 PM

Looks very like early Stuart Taylor stuff - especially the gap at the back of the rear wings which was just wrong not a design feature!

Surrey Dave - 24/4/09 at 12:40 PM

Rescued attachment rearview2.jpg
Rescued attachment rearview2.jpg

Mr Whippy - 24/4/09 at 12:52 PM

to sort the rear wings can't you just gently hammer the inside of the rear panel till it meets the wing? its just thin aluminum after all

the nose cone just needs a notch cut out to accommodate the top of the chassis, plus shorting the bonnet and then the gap filled in the nose cone with some GRP, nothing more than a couple of hours work in that lot

[Edited on 24/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

Rob Lane - 24/4/09 at 01:01 PM

Recognise those.

Oxford Blue scuttle, wings and nose from AK Sportscars (don't make them now)
Caterham screen and stanchions.

Fibreglass was copy of Caterham stuff, cutouts in nose for antiroll bar on 7.

Have all those on mine.

mr henderson - 24/4/09 at 01:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
nothing more than a couple of hours work in that lot

mr henderson - 24/4/09 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
Recognise those.

Oxford Blue scuttle, wings and nose from AK Sportscars (don't make them now)
Caterham screen and stanchions.

Fibreglass was copy of Caterham stuff, cutouts in nose for antiroll bar on 7.

Have all those on mine.

Sounds pretty conclusive, thanks

John

Mr Whippy - 24/4/09 at 01:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:

I rebuilt the Falcons completely shattered GRP right wing once after dinner before taking to work the next morning, ok it was still in primer but GRP is very fast to work with. That nose cone is perfectly usable with a small amount of work

mr henderson - 24/4/09 at 01:28 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:

I rebuilt the Falcons completely shattered GRP right wing once after dinner before taking to work the next morning, ok it was still in primer but GRP is very fast to work with. That nose cone is perfectly usable with a small amount of work

My lease specifically excludes spraying, so that's out of the question. In any case, a set of bodywork that actually fitted would almost certainly be the most economical solution than trying to modify this stuff. But thanks for the suggestion.

John

andylancaster3000 - 24/4/09 at 01:39 PM

Ahh... So they're the arches I bought then.

I ended up modifying the rears by carefully cutting a slit just forward of the mounting lip, around the section that was causing a gap between the rear panel. Bolted the lip to a flat board at a number of places and GRP-d the gap. Worked pretty well and didn't take very long at all.

Andy

mark chandler - 24/4/09 at 08:12 PM

I corrected my rear wings by stretching a couple of lengths of cling film on the rear bodywork, then just pushing fibreglass and resin into the gap. Its then a perfect fit and does not stick.

When cured just remove, unpeel the clingflim, sand and paint.

[Edited on 24/4/09 by mark chandler] Rescued attachment rear_7oct2006.JPG
Rescued attachment rear_7oct2006.JPG