Board logo

Boot lock
David Jenkins - 12/1/06 at 09:41 AM

Looking for a few ideas...

I'm getting close to finishing the boot space in my car, and I'll need to get some form of lock. The easy option would be to use one of those simple locks with a tab at the back - turn the key, the tab turns out of a slot and the lid is clear. Trouble is, this would have to sit on top of the lid and rainwater would get into it and rust it up (they're not great quality). Also, I'm trying to make the thing water-tight and this arrangement would leak.

So, I'm thinking about fitting a lock on the back panel - turn the key and/or push the button, a latch opens and releases the lid - just like in most current saloon cars.

Most of my local scrappies don't allow browsing these days, so I'd have to go in with a particular car and model in mind. Can anyone suggest a good donor for a lock like this?

cheers,
David

Mark Allanson - 12/1/06 at 10:23 AM

I used a caravan door lock, fits well and watertight, SVA compliant,but it is bulky.

If doing it again, I would fit a bonnet lock from a Pug 106/Saxo and have a cable release under the dash of coupled to a lock barrel, it would be very clean and uncluttered

DaveFJ - 12/1/06 at 12:50 PM

how about using a central locking motor from just about any car ? then you just need a lever for the latch and wire it to a button somehwere. added advantage is you cannot open boot unless the ignition is on ....

I have one off my donor sierra if you want it Dave ?

[Edited on 12/1/06 by DaveFJ]

David Jenkins - 12/1/06 at 12:53 PM

That sounds ideal - I was busy thinking up mechanical solutions - can I come over and collect it on the weekend?

(I can stare at your car while I'm at it! )

David

DaveFJ - 12/1/06 at 12:54 PM

I'll be in on sunday

you have U2U

stevebubs - 12/1/06 at 01:14 PM

Rover 75?

DaveFJ - 16/1/06 at 09:26 AM

As a follow up for anyone else who may be intersted....

when digging through my garage for the central locking motor I came across another possible solution. Using the remote catch mechanism for the fold down rear seats of the donor sierra..

I have now given both to Dave so we shall see what he comes up with!

Spyderman - 16/1/06 at 12:58 PM

A fuel filler flap release would be ideal. Most cars have them these days so a large selection is available.
Just fix the cable release behind the seat somewhere or under it and you have a very discreet boot release.

Terry

jack trolley - 16/1/06 at 06:28 PM

Lockable bonnet pins:

iank - 18/1/06 at 12:54 PM

Aerocatch do a locking version which looks very nice but is around £40.

http://www.aerocatch.com

David Jenkins - 18/1/06 at 01:05 PM

Much too fancy! and probably not water-tight either (same for the pins).

The research continues...

David