Board logo

Can I repair this mirror?
02GF74 - 3/8/06 at 11:22 AM

The small placcy bit that fits over the ball has split in my mirror - can this be repaired and how/with what?

mirror repair
mirror repair

Dusty - 3/8/06 at 12:06 PM

I can't imagine any glue being strong enough to hold that when you push the ball back in. A small jubilee clip might make it usable but would look rubbish.

Spyderman - 3/8/06 at 12:20 PM

You could put a small jubilee clip round it, but it would look unsightly from the back.

You may be able to hide it with a bit of fork gaitor.

macintosh - 3/8/06 at 01:23 PM

Its repirable, you just ned to use 2 component extra strong clue. I did repair some plastic bits and works well.
I used Araldit Professional
http://www.huntsman.com/advanced_materials/index.cfm?PageID=5865

David Jenkins - 3/8/06 at 02:39 PM

That mirror looks like the top of the one I've got sitting on a shelf at home... as it cost me the vast amount of £1.50 at a show, I'd be inclined to go out and get a new one if it broke!

Or make one, like I did, from an old Sierra mirror and a few bits of scrap aluminium. I think the result looks quite smart...

Previous thread

David

[Edited on 3/8/06 by David Jenkins]

indykid - 3/8/06 at 09:43 PM

the mirror is in fact sold as an extra mirror for learner drivers/instructors.

i can guarantee they are sold by halfords, but obviously will be avialable from other outlets. i just don't work at the other ones. anyway, i think the mirror with plastic base and suction cup is £4/5. because it's from halfords, you also get a year's guarantee, should it split again, as mine from svc did.

if you're feeling flush, they do another for about £8 that actually gives a decent view behind you. they're all designed around the same ball fitting, so just pick what you fancy from the summit range. mine's a dipping one too, but that's not neccessarily needed.
tom

[Edited on 3/8/06 by indykid] Rescued attachment rear view mirror.jpg
Rescued attachment rear view mirror.jpg

02GF74 - 4/8/06 at 07:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by indykid
the mirror is in fact sold as an extra mirror for learner drivers/instructors.

i can guarantee they are sold by halfords, if you're feeling flush, they do another for about £8 that actually gives a decent view behind you. they're all designed around the same ball fitting, so just pick what you fancy from the summit range.

cheers to all replies - I did wonder about the ball and if other mirrors will work;

think a trip to halford is in order; dipping is good too