Board logo

high street alternative to sikaflex
locoboy - 29/7/07 at 08:40 AM

Is there a readliy available i.e B&Q, homebase etc alternative to sikaflex?

I need to buy some today.

Thanks

nludkin - 29/7/07 at 08:48 AM

Some of the kitcar manufacturers use B&Q's Serious Stuff adhesive (Made by evo-stik?). It's white in colour, but aside from that it's highly recommended for holding on cycle wings, sealing, etc.

Syd Bridge - 29/7/07 at 09:03 AM

Most car bodywork supplies places will stock a generic version of PU adhesive/sealant, cheap too. My locals do, anyway.

Cheers,
Syd.

phil m - 29/7/07 at 09:03 AM

There is something I've bought from local motor factor. It's as close to sikaflex as you'll get (ie no diff) Cost about £6.

Problem is can't remember the name - worth a tr at one od these places though

Mark Allanson - 29/7/07 at 09:10 AM

Tiger Seal, should be available at all motor factors

Peteff - 29/7/07 at 09:11 AM

I get it from the shop my wife drives for on Saturdays. With discount it's about £3 a tube in grey or white.

RoadkillUK - 29/7/07 at 11:26 AM

I found this, reckon this'll work?

Peteff - 29/7/07 at 11:40 AM

That sounds like the Aussie version.Their Easystart, Start ya B@stard is a classic.
Just googled it and apparently it's not flexible and can be used on wet surfaces. It sounds more like tile adhesive.

[Edited on 29/7/07 by Peteff]

iiyama - 29/7/07 at 11:46 AM

Sticks like sh!t is exactly that...Sh!t!! DIY alternative to the one and only Gripfill.

BenB - 29/7/07 at 05:11 PM

TigerSeal won Practical Classics "best sticky stuff" award. I used it on my car and can vouch for its sticking flexible qualities....
I'd be very careful using anything other sikaflex or something known to be very similar. Lots of flexible sealants and inflexible adhesives look the same as a flexible adhesive but aren't!!!! You'll only find out that it cracks or doesn't adhere that well when it's too late

swalf3 - 29/7/07 at 07:52 PM

Pop down to your windscreen replacement centre and get a tube of the stuff they glue windscreens in with.I used it when rebuilding a Lotus Elise.The bonding strength was excellent.Five years on and no cracks or failures.They have a primer which accelerates the setting time.Winston