Board logo

People messing about with your car
Mellow Matt - 23/4/09 at 08:57 PM

I just took the car to the local 5 a side pitches and played a bit of footy for an hour or so. I came back to find the hazards flashing Quickly ran over to switch them off hoping the battery wasn't too drained to start the car, but luckily it was ok. They had, however, managed to fiddle with everything else too, all the buttons were pressed and all the mirrors moved! I could understand perhaps curious people having a look, maybe sitting in it, even pressing the buttons, but leaving the hazards on is just malicious... I'm going to have to rig it so the hazards don't work with the ignition off (as I believe Mark had it before, now I can understand why!)

Is this a common occurance, anyone else had this type of thing done?! I alway put it in gear and take the steering wheel off so no-one can push it around easily, but that's not enough apparently...

rusty nuts - 23/4/09 at 09:00 PM

Check your bonnet fasteners!

001Ben - 23/4/09 at 09:03 PM

I took mine to work the other week and my work colleagues were apparently climbing all over it! Not sure how true that is but now it has an alarm that goes off as soon as they breathe on it.

[Edited on 23/4/09 by 001Ben]

coozer - 23/4/09 at 09:04 PM

Get an alarm.

Mellow Matt - 23/4/09 at 09:07 PM

Luckily they hadn't messed about with the bonnet. I think maybe an alarm would be a good idea, I'll look into it, cheers.

dhutch - 23/4/09 at 09:08 PM

Interest to hear what everone else says. Ive not had any real problems, but ive only had the car 6months, and once at the pub (westfield meet) half way throught the night somone came in to say the sidelights where on.

Im planning to fit a battery isolate switch anyway. But when you do park it up outside weatherspoons (uni motorclub meetings) and walk away from it you do wonder why your even bothing to take the key.

I know for a fact you can push it (forwards or backwards) though the middle of town without anyone batting a eyelid. Because i have done!!

Daniel

tegwin - 23/4/09 at 09:12 PM

You think thats bad....

I left a helicopter behind a hotel whilst I had lunch....when I came back someone was trying to force their way inside...."I wanteeed to siit on the seat innit!".... Scary really because if they "fiddle" with anything it could be lethal... Much the same as with a kit car really... Its a sad world we live in, but I cant take my eye off the thing now...which is a shame!

A1 - 23/4/09 at 09:19 PM

not had anything like that, i dont really leave it out my sight... some misterious scratches appeared though...
could you get an alarm sensor for the dash area? and one for under the bonnet so if anyone moves it...

Mellow Matt - 23/4/09 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
You think thats bad....

I left a helicopter behind a hotel whilst I had lunch....when I came back someone was trying to force their way inside...."I wanteeed to siit on the seat innit!".... Scary really because if they "fiddle" with anything it could be lethal... Much the same as with a kit car really... Its a sad world we live in, but I cant take my eye off the thing now...which is a shame!

Blimey! A helicopter?! I can understand how you'd be a bit worried about that! Glad to hear that no-one's encountered too much interference though, maybe most of the public aren't pillocks!

Has anyone got any recommendations for an alarm? Cheap as possible preferably!

robertst - 23/4/09 at 09:24 PM

I have planned to purchase a RF remote for mine (if and when its completed ).

Basically its a relatively biggish key fob that works by radio frequency and tells you if the car has been jiggled about, even approached too closely!. you can set off the alarm and you can even start the engine! makes me wonder if it can be programmed to electrify the car!

these things have like a 1000 metre range...

i thinks it not a bad investment for our pride 'n joy...

SeaBass - 23/4/09 at 09:27 PM

I once returned to find two massive russians sitting in into with another taking there pictures... They were harmless but I can still remember the thumbs up and slap on the back one of them gave me - a big lad!

JC

Jasongray5 - 23/4/09 at 09:35 PM

Hows about summat like this to keep your pride and joy safe?

ell_bkr - 23/4/09 at 09:50 PM

Thought about getting a tonneau cover? I'm planning on getting one and then wiring in an alarm with some sort of sensor that is triggured when the cover is detatched without the alarm been de-activated. Should be very cheap and easy to make.

Would have thought the cover on its own would act as a sufficient deterrent aswell.

DIY Si - 23/4/09 at 09:53 PM

There's times I'm glad I live out in the sticks, and that I'm 6'3". Given that my car's a bit loud and being a BEC sounds odd anyway, folk tend to sit and see what the noise is when I arrive and then they get to see how big the bloke jumping out is. It does help that none of my switches are marked and my mirrors are nearly useless anyway! Also, a lack of padding on the seats and it being a bit dirty seems to help too.

yellow melos - 23/4/09 at 10:01 PM

This all comes back to darwins theory of evolution, we keep helping the numnut people because it's inhumain not to.. but they keep breeding and get dumber every generation and think it's funny to undo your wheel nuts ( or helecopter blades )

well that's enough ranting me thinks.

glad to here they did not valdalise anything

speedyxjs - 24/4/09 at 06:05 AM

You should also check your wheel nuts. You never know

Mr Whippy - 24/4/09 at 07:07 AM

came back once to find about 5 young kids around my falcon and two of them with the bonnet up looking at the engine and two in the seats. Then tried to convince them that me taking them down the road while they sat on the running board was a bad idea

I've had the beach buggys switches mucked around with a few times but its dead to the world unless you know how to switch it on so no one can drain the battery

Macbeast - 24/4/09 at 08:17 AM

I think it's a legal requirement that the hazards can flash even with the ignition off ?

Mr Whippy - 24/4/09 at 09:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
I think it's a legal requirement that the hazards can flash even with the ignition off ?

True, but the requirement is that they can be made to flash with the ignition off.

That doesn't mean the button must be live all the time for anyone to press, only when needed does it need to meet the requirement.

So you can still have a hidden switch elsewhere that kills the whole electrical system when the hazards are not required.

James - 24/4/09 at 11:07 AM

TBH, your hazards would have to be on a sodding long time to drain the battery (with a normal car battery anyway!)!

I've not really parked and left mine around much. I used to leave it in the secure work multi-story but no one there would mess and they weren't that uncommon as there was a bunch of westies/Caterhams etc. there.

Cheers,
James

Ninehigh - 26/4/09 at 01:35 AM

Get one of those cheap seat covers and tape a few strategic drawing pins to the underside. I did this on my brother's moped and caught some tit deciding to sit on it, he jumped on it and managed to leap off without touching the ground

richard - 26/4/09 at 03:33 PM

Exactly which bike alarms have people used as many seem to be linked to certain makes and models of bikes.