Board logo

Bailiff powers - WOW!
carpmart - 22/12/08 at 04:30 PM

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5375668.ece

I can never see myself being in the situation where this would impact me personally but assuming I 'owed' money and a bailiff was collecting, what would give that individual the arbitrary right to be able to forcibly restrain (assault) me in my own home.

I can see this power being severely abused!

Danozeman - 22/12/08 at 04:36 PM

I reckon in this current economic climate they had to give powers like that,.

However

If they ever tried that on me they wouldnt get very far.

liam.mccaffrey - 22/12/08 at 04:39 PM

where do private bailiffs stand though if your house or property is too secure to kick a door down or gain access to generally

Dangle_kt - 22/12/08 at 04:41 PM

So has this been passed yet?

Truely shocking stuff!

Peteff - 22/12/08 at 04:45 PM

A private rented house round the corner from us was the subject of an eviction earlier this year. The police did the entering as I was walking by. The bailiff knocked politely on the door and got no reply, turned round to the two policemen and said, "Open it" and they hit it with the universal key (ram). The female occupant was evicted and within three days was living in another house further down the street, what's the point?

cd.thomson - 22/12/08 at 04:45 PM

simple solution:

role back carpet from front door

dig hole just inside front door,

fill hole, options include: punji sticks, sharks, tigers, acid

carefully replace carpet

If in serious debt clean once a week to avoid build up of scum (i mean baliffs). This is a suitably locost solution. Alternatively you could have an Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail type trap system, but this would take more engineering and money.

Z20let Corsa - 22/12/08 at 04:47 PM

i have to say that if i was in that situation they wouldnt get very far with me either. they would be flat on their back!!

mad-butcher - 22/12/08 at 04:48 PM

My grandfather and father were committed labour party supporters. My dad even refused to speak to me for a year or so after I said what a good idea it was of thatchers to give council tenants the right to buy, how they would both turn in their graves at the way the modern labour party has gone....I can't even go the doctors in case he gives me a prescription for more than 2 items, but the lazy twat next door with 5 kids gets it all for f++k all

chrisg - 22/12/08 at 04:54 PM

Be fair, if there were no bailiffs (or traffic wardens) there wouldn't be any jobs for the kids that were bullied at school.

Or men with exceedingly small genitals.

Cheers

Chris

andyharding - 22/12/08 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Z20let Corsa
i have to say that if i was in that situation they wouldnt get very far with me either. they would be flat on their back!!

Yeah, flat on their backs, laughing at the meat head who thought he was tougher than 2 huge guys trained to do a job who is now in court on assault charges.

MikeR - 22/12/08 at 04:57 PM

for those saying the bailiff would be flat on their back, remember the following ....

they may be just as experienced at what ever martial art you are,

they are legally allowed to be there

you will be assaulting them

they'll probably have the police backing them up / arresting you.

if someone is doing something legally, you're unfortunately probably better off just letting them do their job.

mr henderson - 22/12/08 at 05:04 PM

Andy and Mike are right, and even if one was able to use force and beat off the first attack, there would just be more next time.

John

Daimo_45 - 22/12/08 at 05:05 PM

I say brilliant news!!! Twats who don't pay their court fines and then try and protect there valuables are the reason why the county court I work for can't afford to repair a £50 fax machine and have only one male toilet for the whole building because the others are broken and too costly to repair.

[Edited on 22/12/08 by Daimo_45]

omega 24 v6 - 22/12/08 at 05:18 PM

quote:

If in serious debt clean once a week to avoid build up of scum (i mean baliffs).

Unnecessary.
They've got a job to do like everyone else (apart from some of the folk they'll be evicting). If we all lived by the old ways of paying for what you can afford other than racking up the debt then we'd not be in the financial shithole the world is in now.

Daimo_45 - 22/12/08 at 05:32 PM

quote:
If we all lived by the old ways of paying for what you can afford other than racking up the debt then we'd not be in the financial shithole the world is in now.

Yup, idiots who can't live within their means...not a hard concept to grasp unless you're unfortunate to fall ill/have other unforeseen justifiable hardships. It now means people like me in their early 20's can't get mortgages. At least the charging order was invented!!!!!

[Edited on 22/12/08 by Daimo_45]

graememk - 22/12/08 at 06:23 PM

the power will go to there heads, jobs like this must be done by the police and the courts..

even the police cant break in without permission.

balidey - 22/12/08 at 06:49 PM

Its in the papers, it MUST be true.

My brother is a bailif, he was a debt recovery agent, but is now an appointed court bailif. The court work is basically jsut posting up a notice, a locksmith does all the 'breaking in' and 9 times out of 10 the premises are empty. The rest of that story is scare mongering. Maybe 1 or 2 cases are like that, but thats out of hundreds of thousands.

The lines in the story about 'smashing down doors' and 'using force' are complete tosh and I am surprised that A that its not from The Sun and B that you guys are getting worked up over a few non-facts

stevebubs - 22/12/08 at 07:02 PM

A bit less sensational and a few more facts

austin man - 22/12/08 at 08:54 PM

Once had a bailiff and his co accused whoops colleague come to my house Id only just moved in previous owners ran up a bit of debt. When I explained that they no longer lived here the Bailiff was having none of it and said he was entering to seize property. Funny thing was, when I showed him the kitchen knife and introduced his colleague to my Doberman they didn't wish to persue the matter and went for the Police who then backed up my story. Wonder what would have happened if only my missus was around

there is a need for bailifs I agree but they need to be able to listen.

DIY Si - 22/12/08 at 09:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by balidey
Its in the papers, it MUST be true.

My brother is a bailif, he was a debt recovery agent, but is now an appointed court bailif. The court work is basically jsut posting up a notice, a locksmith does all the 'breaking in' and 9 times out of 10 the premises are empty. The rest of that story is scare mongering. Maybe 1 or 2 cases are like that, but thats out of hundreds of thousands.

The lines in the story about 'smashing down doors' and 'using force' are complete tosh and I am surprised that A that its not from The Sun and B that you guys are getting worked up over a few non-facts

My experience of bailiffs is along these lines. I've worked with them fitting pre-payment electricity meters for those who refuse to pay their debts. All the bailiff does is knock on the door. Although you'd be surprised at just how quick a good locksmith can get into a house! If there is any bother, a bailiff will try and calm the stroppy person down, and if there's no joy, they call the police. Who can and will force entry, as with my job, we needed a warrant to turn up anyway, so we were allowed in regardless.

davie h - 22/12/08 at 09:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
quote:

If in serious debt clean once a week to avoid build up of scum (i mean baliffs).

Unnecessary.
They've got a job to do like everyone else (apart from some of the folk they'll be evicting). If we all lived by the old ways of paying for what you can afford other than racking up the debt then we'd not be in the financial shithole the world is in now.

i couldnt agree more folk want everything NOW big tv, best car etc etc wether or not they can actually afford it. they pay with credit cards or get it on hp and we are supposed to feel sorry for them when they cant pay. the must haves are the reason this country is stuffed. there are far to many people living a champange lifestyle on a beer income.

Davie

owelly - 22/12/08 at 09:58 PM

The only experiences with bailiffs have been bad ones. Thugs banging on my door, then frightening the hell out of my elderly neighbours, trying to force thier way into my house, for debts I knew nothing about!! I thought I was being robbed!
I tried to explain to no avail. I offered to pay whatever it was they wanted me to pay (hoping I could sort things out once these goons had gone away) but they didn't want money! They wanted to come into the property, seize goods and make an inventory of the other stuff I had!
I got a bit angry and kicked the crap out of one of them and the other left.
It turned out that Car Phone Warehouse had paid a company (who employed these apes) to recovery a debt awarded to them for a default on a mobile phone contract.
I'd never heard of the name on the paperwork and the address of the correspondance was over 200 miles away in Luton!!!

These powers are good when they are correct but dangerous when they are wrong.

caber - 22/12/08 at 10:08 PM

My experience of bailiffs goes back to the 1980s when I worked for a company that were pretty much insolvent most the time. I was pretty good at confusing the heck out of them as to who owned what as there were a number of companies at the same address. What did bother me was what happened to seized goods. Most were sold at closed auctions to "invited traders" who basically dropped the bailiffs a wodge of cash to get in and pay pretty much nothing for the goods.

Generally the system didn't work for the creditors nor the debtors but the bailiffs made a load of money!

Caber

cd.thomson - 22/12/08 at 10:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by davie h
quote:
quote:

Unnecessary.

i couldnt agree more folk want everything NOW big tv, best car etc etc wether or not they can actually afford it. they pay with credit cards or get it on hp and we are supposed to feel sorry for them when they cant pay. the must haves are the reason this country is stuffed. there are far to many people living a champange lifestyle on a beer income.

Davie

Agree entirely with the debt based society we live in and the problems that causes (although its an inherent flaw with any market run capitalist society).

Couldnt disagree more with bailiffs just doing their jobs. Everybody gets to pick the job they have, policemen, bailiffs, traffic wardens etc choose the job for a reason.

I'm applying for the RAF for the prestige and to fly very fast. I'd join the bailiffs if i wanted to be the guy who took other peoples possessions.

graememk - 22/12/08 at 11:15 PM

if you want money out of someone just apply for an attachment of earnings, by far the best way.

MikeRJ - 23/12/08 at 10:42 AM

quote:
quote:

Unnecessary.

I disagree, the kind of people that take jobs as Baliff's usually are very unpleasant individuals, it's the nature of the job. If you are large, strong and hard of thinking, what better job is there?

omega 24 v6 - 23/12/08 at 01:28 PM

quote:

I disagree, the kind of people that take jobs as Baliff's usually are very unpleasant individuals, it's the nature of the job. If you are large, strong and hard of thinking, what better job is there?

Going by some of the replies they need to be big guys.
Don't rack up the debt and you don't have a problem. There are a few who fall ill etc and that's unfortunate BUT it needs to be pretty bad (ignore warnings etc etc) before the doors being kicked in IMHO

woodster - 23/12/08 at 04:51 PM

All under a labour government it is a head shaker ..... then again Northern Rock have been the the most aggressive at repossesing houses and didn't this government want to charge 12% interest on its loans to the poor