Board logo

Advise on double glazing condensation, any experts.
scotty g - 10/10/14 at 01:43 PM

hi all, The main panel on my double glazed front window has got condensation on the inside between the 2 sheets of glass.
Is there any way of clearing this away or do i need to replace the whole thing?

r1_pete - 10/10/14 at 01:46 PM

Replacement is the only cure I'm afraid, have had to have several replaced myself in the last few years....

cliftyhanger - 10/10/14 at 01:47 PM

You used to be able to get the panel taken away and resealed. However, that is a tad inconvenient. And I have not seen it happen for a while.
Replacement units are not too expensive. But you need accurate sizes including overall thickness of the DG unit. Which means you need to pop the beads off usually.

coozer - 10/10/14 at 01:47 PM

It means the seal between the sheets has failed and its a new unit. I think over the years we have replaced all the units on the front of our house which gets the sun all day....

scotty g - 10/10/14 at 01:50 PM

yeah i thought that would probably be the case but always worth asking in case someone has a locost cheat!

DW100 - 10/10/14 at 02:02 PM

I'm sure if wanted to put enough effort in you could do it.

1) Put it in a container, and create a vacuum. This will evaporate the condensation.

2) Flood it with Argon.

3) seal the leak.

4) Refit

Easy!!

Slimy38 - 10/10/14 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
You used to be able to get the panel taken away and resealed. However, that is a tad inconvenient. And I have not seen it happen for a while.
Replacement units are not too expensive. But you need accurate sizes including overall thickness of the DG unit. Which means you need to pop the beads off usually.

I vaguely remember our builder saying that it's about £20 a square metre for 'average' stuff. It's not difficult to swap them out, I replaced a glass lower door panel no problem, and it really is just finding which corner bead comes out first and then using a screwdriver and a rag to pull them out.

cliftyhanger - 10/10/14 at 02:48 PM

I just choose the longest bead and go for the middle with a thin scraper. Lift and then work your way along. the short beads I take out last.
Short beads back in first, check packers.

A fanlight unit was under £15 recently, so no, not expensive, and pretty easy. In fact had to take a unit out a couple of weeks ago to get a sofa in a place. Took under 10 mins each way.

owelly - 10/10/14 at 04:05 PM

I'll just mention 'security tape'......it's a right twat.

whitestu - 10/10/14 at 06:38 PM

As others have said they are cheap and easy to replace. I had to swap one as some idiot managed to smash the landing window carrying a door upstairs in our old house..

big_wasa - 10/10/14 at 07:12 PM

Doing two of mine tomorrow. Will see how it goes.

coops222 - 10/10/14 at 08:11 PM

i do this for a living.
if the glass is inside a door panel then you have to replace the complete panel.

im afraid your wasting your time splitting and resealing yourself unless you replace the spacer bar around the unit as it contains a absorbent that absorbs any moisture between the glass, if the glass is misting this means it has absorbed as much moisture as is possible and will continue to mist up.
also if there is a creamy substance between the glass this will prove impossible to remove.

replacement or resealed professionally are the only options...

[Edited on 10/10/14 by coops222]

big_wasa - 15/10/14 at 06:13 PM

My mate came around with the new glass last Saturday, so simple and cheap to do I wish I had done it ages ago.

He did say he had never seen the security tape come of that easy.

JoelP - 15/10/14 at 06:53 PM

What is security tape, if you don't mind me asking?! I've never come across it.

cliftyhanger - 15/10/14 at 07:02 PM

double sided tape that sticks the beads to the dg unit. Only used on externally glazed windows to stop scrotes popping the beads out and helping themselves to your telly. Not always used either.

big_wasa - 15/10/14 at 07:08 PM

Yep double sided foam tape as used on kitcars

JoelP - 15/10/14 at 09:42 PM

Cheers! I took out some external beads today but fortunately it was upstairs so no tape. I've always wondered why they would ever have external beads anyway!