Board logo

Changing the big arrow
Mr Whippy - 7/4/08 at 11:50 AM

see when I lookup google maps or cars GPS, the arrow is missing my house by about 400 yards

this means the couriers or anyone trying to find my house are sent off down the wrong road and get totally lost

Anyone know how to sort this?

cheers.

graememk - 7/4/08 at 11:51 AM

move to england

mookaloid - 7/4/08 at 11:53 AM

move your house 400yds to the left.

twybrow - 7/4/08 at 11:56 AM

Keep trying postcodes until the arrow is correct!?

vinny1275 - 7/4/08 at 11:58 AM

Are you putting in your postcode? Postcodes cover a range of addresses, not any geographically fixed area (I think) - so a postcode in an urban area may cover 100 addresses, out in the sticks it may only be 10.

When you look with your postcode, it'll most likely give you the central area of the postcode.

You could look up the long / lat coordinates and give that as your address, that should be able to pinpoint your front door....

postcodes aren't really useful without the rest of the address in my experience - the route planner gets you there-ish, and you're then on your own without the rest of teh detail.

HTH

vince

jnormandale - 7/4/08 at 12:01 PM

I'm a building surveyor and I have found this is very common. When we visit site we normally use google maps and multimap to get a good idea of the location and the postcode is always not near the exact building!

To make it worse my house on google maps is the opposite side of the road, where a certain neighbour lives that dislikes me any parcels/deliveries heading his way I have found never get delivered to me!

Pain in the Arse! I don't think you can change it!

worX - 7/4/08 at 12:06 PM

Aren't postcodes always listed for a specific road and therefore when you do a google search the indicated arrow is always in the middle of said road?

Steve

iank - 7/4/08 at 12:16 PM

The postcode covers few and fewer houses the more you enter. I understand a complete postcode covers 5-10 houses normally. I guess there is a database somewhere that google and the gps systems use that gives a lat-long pair for each postcode I'd guess some kind of average location of the houses with that code. Out in the sticks that could be quite a large area if you're unlucky.

Mr Whippy - 7/4/08 at 12:22 PM

so it's stored in a secret computer that I can't update, well that sucks

iank - 7/4/08 at 12:26 PM

if it's right for you it'll be wrong for the people 400 yards away. Assuming it's not just wrong of course.

smart51 - 7/4/08 at 12:44 PM

my street of a little over 100 houses has 2 post codes, one for each end. My inlaws farm has 1 post code for 6 addresses covering a 1/2 mile stretch of the road.

mcerd1 - 7/4/08 at 03:25 PM

I've always been lucky with this

my parents house is right under the arrow for there post code (in the middle of nowhere along a gravel road) - the other houes in there postcode are up to 2 miles away, with railways and things between them

my current house is easy to find

you could give them a grid ref. (or lat/log) but its depressing how few people know what to do with these

mangogrooveworkshop - 7/4/08 at 03:27 PM

United Kingdom

UK postcodes are alphanumeric and between five and eight characters long (including a single space separating the outward and inward parts of the code), e.g. the code for the House of Commons is SW1A 0AA. These codes were introduced by the Royal Mail between 1959 and 1974. They have been widely adopted not just for their original purpose of automating the sorting of mail, but for many other purposes — see Postcode lottery.

The 'Outward' part of the postcode denotes the postal district - for example RH for the Redhill area, and then the following number distinguishes the Posttown - broadly speaking the Delivery Office which services the local area. So RH1 is Redhill itself, RH10 is Crawley. With larger towns there may be more than 1 number in the outward section - Crawley includes RH10 and RH11. The 'Inward' part denotes particular parts of the town / Delivery Office area, with the first part - the number - being an area, and the final two letters denoting a group of houses within that area.

You may see a series of five-digit codes on business mail. This is called Mailsort— but is only available for mailings of 'a minimum of 4,000 letter-sized items'.[6] Mail users who handover mail to Royal Mail sorted by Mailsort code receive discounts based on the type of mail and level of sorting they do.

Your post code has a max of 15 addresses assigned to it. Royal mail own the database and charge big bucks for the use of.

Howlor - 7/4/08 at 03:31 PM

Curvature of the earth is your problem living in Scotland!