Board logo

Locost ways to improve power
speedyxjs - 20/4/09 at 03:14 PM

After all my exhuast problems, trying to fit straight pipes at the rear and have an unbearable noise at 60-70mph, iv just spent £150 on two new silencers as i need the car drivable by the weekend

I was thinking about the amount of power gain in having the straight pipes and how much i am going to lose by putting silencers back on and was wondering what else could be done to gain power but at a locost budget?

The only one i can think of (other that straight pipes) would be exhaust wrap round the manifold and (although could be expensive) an induction kit.
ANyone know ofanything else?

Davey D - 20/4/09 at 03:20 PM

having a cool air feed to the air filter, so it isnt just using hot air from under the bonnet?

instead of just increasing power, you could always think of weight reduction. is there anything you can remove / replace for lighter objects.

maybe eating less pies so the driver is lighter too

mark chandler - 20/4/09 at 03:29 PM

I cannot see how exhaust wrap improves power unless it merely reduces underbonnet tempretures.

As above, ducting cold air to the filter will improve things as will a better filter, an Ebay K&N special, but keep it within the original can.

If your car is a 3.2 then for £150 you could get a 4.0 engine and swap out.

Silencers do not kill power if straight through, I suspect your over the axle pipes are crushed (from the factory) for clearance so replacing these bits may do something.

Jaguars were not slow, however modern cars are now getting so fast that any diffrences fade.

Regards Mark

A1 - 20/4/09 at 04:41 PM

everything mentioned above...run it on v power and make the car light

Daimo_45 - 20/4/09 at 04:42 PM

quote:

instead of just increasing power, you could always think of weight reduction.

That would mean an engine swap, lol.

roadrunner - 20/4/09 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo_45
quote:

instead of just increasing power, you could always think of weight reduction.

That would mean an engine swap, lol.

Now what could you mean.

speedyxjs - 20/4/09 at 06:54 PM

I wasnt just thinking for me, i was more thinking in general.
An engine swap isnt really an option as the idea was locost improvements.
Exhaust wrap increases HP by about 2-3 iirc. Cant remember the theory though. Something to do with retaining the heat in the gas so it flows better.

l0rd - 20/4/09 at 07:28 PM

probably running electrical components instead of mechanical such as waterpump?

def change the air filter with a cold air kit