Board logo

MX5 crank pulley modification
brianthemagical - 10/8/10 at 08:44 PM

Hi peeps.

Have got a mk1 mx5 1.6 engine. The crank pulley for the ancills is efectivley two pulleys, the front a 4 grove belt for the A/C and PAS and the rear is a single V for the alt and water pump. As the PAS and A/C are no longer needed i'm wanting to remove the front pulley. The problem being that it looks like the front pully is pressed steel which bolts to the crank with the rear pulley being pressed onto the front.

So, if i try and modify the pulley by cutting the grooves/outer from the front pulley, would it adversly affect the connection between the two pulleys?

Thanks.

tomgregory2000 - 10/8/10 at 09:03 PM

i would leave it well alone as it balanced at the mo and you dont want to upset it

GeorgeM - 10/8/10 at 09:06 PM

If it's a weight thing, skip breakfast for a day

I'm leaving mine as is

brianthemagical - 10/8/10 at 09:44 PM

It's to make a little more room at the front of the engine. It will hopefully sit behind a cross member, but it's currently a bit tight and subject to clearence to the rear of the engine. It's just make it a bit more pleasent during instalation.

And less weight on the crank increases the speed the engine will rev up, so when i'm sitting at lights and stuff it'll sound better/cooler.

ed1801 - 11/8/10 at 08:24 AM

Be very careful if it is the short nosed MX5 crank as even removing the pulley is a bit dodgy. Have a look on the mx5oc site for LWSC or short nosed crank. I'm pretty sure it affected the early 1.6 4 slot crank pulley engine.