Board logo

20XE breather "elbow" to rocker cover leaking
corpi - 27/8/10 at 09:20 AM

Hi, I'm new here, but I normally follow the fuel injection forum.

On my Vauxhall 20XE:

I replaced the rocker cover gasket and the hose between the crankbreathing pipe to the rocker cover. only to find that the oil is dripping from the joint where the ali elbow enters the rocker cover (exhaust side).

Can you remove this elbow? How is it sealed?

Any advice appreciated!

Pieter

loggyboy - 27/8/10 at 09:36 AM

Probably easiest to pick up a new rocker cover, they are fairly 2 a penny.

blakep82 - 27/8/10 at 10:39 AM

the elbow on mine was just a peice of rubber pipe. i bough a 90 degree silicone elbow off ebay. maybe the rubber has perished and split on yours?

corpi - 27/8/10 at 10:56 AM

blakep82: I have already replaced the rubber bit. which in my XE is a straight piece of rubber, (different id on each end though) the Ali bit sticking out of the rocker cover has the 90 degree bend in it. This looks like it it separate to the cover, (must be otherwise it wouldn't leak...) But I can figure out how to separate the two... so I can seal it properly.

loggyboy: no friendly breaker nearby.

blakep82 - 27/8/10 at 11:24 AM

ah, i see my ecotec is different then
what about mashing some chemical metal/epoxy resin in the joins?

Ben_Copeland - 27/8/10 at 11:24 AM

I've seen them taken out before on a dry sump engine. But I wouldn't think you can buy that bit on it's own.

As said just get a new cover off eBay. Intact I have several in my loft if you want one
Edit to say try rotating it with plumbers wrench and see of it pulls put

[Edited on 27/8/10 by Ben_Copeland]

corpi - 27/8/10 at 12:38 PM

Thanks for the offer Ben. But I'm in Holland so postage will be too much.

I'll try the twisting tonight, but I don't want to break it... off to Scotland, for a week next Friday.

If it won't come off easily, I will treat it with sealant goo.

Pieter

ruudbeckers - 27/8/10 at 03:34 PM

The elbow does have a separate order number: 90499012

corpi - 27/8/10 at 04:19 PM

Dank je wel Ruud.

Now all I have to figure out, is ho to separate them

Pieter

corpi - 29/8/10 at 11:18 AM

I've taken the cpver off an tried to remove the elbow, but it look like a press fit. (possibly heat shrunk in place). So I did not try to remove it.

I made a splash shield. and covered the joint from the inside with sealing stuff. I used low pressure compressed air to blow it it place. (a b@tch to reach all the corners)

After a idling it for a while it's still dry :-) Before the fix, it would leak at idle too.

So it looks like i have sussed it!

Thanks everyone who offered advice!

Pieter

Ben_Copeland - 4/9/10 at 08:30 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lot-10-pcs-Elbow-Opel-Vauxhall-C20XE-engine-/130423276906?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e5dd5456a

Just incase you wanna buy 10