Board logo

Twin pulleys?
Ben Graber - 11/1/06 at 07:46 PM

The engine i have has got a set of twin pulleys all around on it, complete with seized crank pulley! I am probably going to source a set of single pulleys to replace these but wondered what engines had twin and what engines had single? Also are there any advantages/disadvantages with using either (in a locost)?

rusty nuts - 11/1/06 at 07:50 PM

Most of the Cortina, Sierra, Capri's and Transits had single pulley, suspect perhaps Granada had twin? Also some posted in the wanted section for a twin pulley recently

britishtrident - 11/1/06 at 08:01 PM

Possible Post Office or MOD or Police spec ? ---

Would have said Granda with PAS not many Pinto engined Grandads had PAS

[Edited on 11/1/06 by britishtrident]

garyo - 11/1/06 at 08:08 PM

In my experience of the engines (which is only about 4 of them) it's the later injection ones that have twin pulleys.

Gary

Ben Graber - 11/1/06 at 08:16 PM

Sorry, should of been clearer. My engine is out of a 1986 Sierra 2.0iS. I was trying to find out what engines didn't have twin pulleys but it sounds like thats most of them so i shouldn't have any trouble getting a set.

DaveFJ - 12/1/06 at 11:57 AM

sierra with power steering had twin pulley for steering pump.....

mine was a bugger to get off but am going to keep the twin pulley and run 2 belts to the alternator - belt and braces stylee

James - 12/1/06 at 12:09 PM

My 1989 2.0 with manual steering is twin pulley'd.

Fitting a new alternator removes one of them. The fan is gone so having two for that is unnecessary there too.

That just leaves the crank.

The twin crank pulley is a bit heavier but it has the benefit of the 4 threaded holes in the front- perfect for fitting a megasquirt crank trigger wheel to! So I'm keeping it.

Ben,
My crank puller was pretty stiff too. But a hub puller soon sorted it.

HTH,
James

Ben Graber - 12/1/06 at 07:55 PM

I removed my crank pulley today, using proper 'Locost' tools. I decided to make a puller at work, using work's materials, with work's tools all while being paid to be at work, how Locost is that! Rescued attachment Puller.JPG
Rescued attachment Puller.JPG