Board logo

Engines Coming Out
Pdlewis - 27/9/06 at 10:00 PM

The time has come to pull out the 1.6 pinto and drop in a nice shiney 2.1L pinto it has been rebuilt so dont think anything needs doing to the engine can anyone suggest anything that may need doing while the enigne is out?

By the way i cheated and bought a ready built car so this is my first engine install wish me luck

[Edited on 27/9/06 by Pdlewis]

Fatgadget - 27/9/06 at 10:21 PM

quote:

.....can anyone suggest anything that may need doing while the enigne is out?

Yep,put a bike engine in!

tom windmill - 27/9/06 at 10:32 PM

DO IT pintos are for girls

Peteff - 27/9/06 at 11:19 PM

What bike engine is he going to fit? Stick with your Pinto, it's what the car was built for.

mookaloid - 27/9/06 at 11:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tom windmill

Turncoat

Dusty - 27/9/06 at 11:49 PM

Hope you have a replacement manifold and carb, (32/36DGAV, DGAS, 40/45's or bike) to go on. If fitting sidedraughts or bike carbs may need to think about modifying crankcase breather and fitting oil catch tank. Have you done mods to the dizzy to reset the advance curve?
As far as I remember the actual engine swap is hassle free.

indykid - 27/9/06 at 11:51 PM

bike engine in a 2b?

that thing'll eat clutches!

wrt your original question, have a clean round the engine bay? so much easier without an engine in, and if you've got a new engine, it'd be a shame not to show it off.
tom

BusaLoco - 28/9/06 at 12:27 AM

Put a Big Bad Busa Bike Engine in. ... That should just about do it.

stevec - 28/9/06 at 07:15 AM

Just perfect.

[Edited on 28/9/06 by stevec]Image deleted by owner

Catpuss - 28/9/06 at 07:37 AM

Is that the new Russian built TVR motor?

02GF74 - 28/9/06 at 08:15 AM

maybe worth while replacing the clutch plate and cover. also check the engine core plugs and maybe replace those.

NS Dev - 28/9/06 at 08:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:
Originally posted by tom windmill

Turncoat

Think you need to take a few of these bike engine types out in your car mookaloid!!! See if they still give pintos a slagging!

Your hillclimb vid at harewood shows the good bit about a big old boat anchor car engine, not much time wasted changing up and down loads of gears, just loads of torque spread!!

tim windmill - 28/9/06 at 09:21 AM

i still love the pinto, TOM made me go bike engine and it is him who will have to get out and push when we need to reverse, there are some well quick pintos out there. bike carbs and megajolt excellent upgrade for any pinto.

irvined - 28/9/06 at 09:30 AM

Whilst your engine bay is empty, give everything a clean, touch up any bits of paint etc which have been chipped.

Flush your cooling system, fit any new belts/filters/plugs/pumps etc whilst they are easy to get to.

MikeRJ - 28/9/06 at 09:56 AM

I'd probably change the clutch release bearing unless it's not very old. Also check for any oil leaks inside the bellhousing that could indicate the oil seal on the gearbox input shaft has seen better days.

Engine mounts ok? The 2.0L lump will put a bit more strain on them.

Cooling system up to scratch for the bigger engine?

[Edited on 28/9/06 by MikeRJ]

Pdlewis - 28/9/06 at 10:24 AM

So think im going to do the following:

1. Get the steam cleaner out and give the bay a good going over

2. Replace any trunking or cabeling which looks like its seen better days

3. I have taken the cooling system out cleaned the header tank and checked the pipe work so re mount this and maybe add 2 tanks one to the rad overflow and one to the header over flow

4. Is it worth putting as crank breather tank on ready for future upgrade to bike carbs? if so how does this system work?

5. Check the gearbox seals

6. Maybe install a new clutch

DarrenW - 28/9/06 at 10:53 AM

7. fit modded sump before engine goes in - i wish i had!!!! Bit of a pain to mod and re-install with engine in car.

Pdlewis - 28/9/06 at 11:01 AM

Check already got the shortend sump

NS Dev - 28/9/06 at 03:06 PM

whereabouts in Leics are you pdlewis? You're not in earl shilton are you by any chance?

Pdlewis - 28/9/06 at 03:16 PM

Not far away Market Bosworth

NS Dev - 28/9/06 at 03:25 PM

Aha!

not the chap I thought you might be then, but very near where I used to live! I lived for 25 years in Barton In The Beans.

I'm in Barwell now I have bought my own house