Board logo

Throttle Bodies
jnormandale - 17/9/08 at 08:38 PM

I am restricted to space within my chassis. What is better to fit blackbird throttle bodies or gzxr.

Some told me that the length of the port between the trumpet and head matters for performance. I am not that clued up on engines, does this matter?

Cheers

[Edited on 09/12/2007 by jnormandale]

big_wasa - 17/9/08 at 08:45 PM

The intake length can have huge affects on power and how it is delivered.

The zetec is said to need a long intake length to give its optimum performance.

Whats the engine ?

jnormandale - 17/9/08 at 08:47 PM

1.6 Petrol Zetec R.

big_wasa - 17/9/08 at 08:55 PM

Zetec E or SE ie iron block or the all alloy one ?

Blackbird Tb's are a bit on the large side arnt they ? I would think that would be a bitch to get to idle properly ?

jnormandale - 17/9/08 at 09:03 PM

Zetec E. What is smaller GSXR or blackbird throttle bodies?

whitestu - 18/9/08 at 08:06 AM

quote:

The zetec is said to need a long intake length to give its optimum performance.

Interesting - my bike carbs are pretty much bolted straight to the head!

Stu

Myke 2463 - 18/9/08 at 01:03 PM

GSXR 600 very compact, looking down the throat only 85mm and approx 140 high inc injectors.

Mike.

MikeRJ - 18/9/08 at 04:26 PM

I don't wish to be rude but the 1.6 Zetec E is rather restricted by valve sizes, putting bike carbs or throttle bodies on it isn't going to gain you a huge amount. The 1.8 or 2.0 engines would make far more sense.

GSXR750/1000 or Blackbird throttle bodies will be far too large on a standard engine, something off an older 600cc bike should be closer.

Jenko - 19/9/08 at 10:42 AM

As mentioned, you need to be going as small as possible for a 1.6.....GSXR600 will be perfect......they are 38mm diameter

Better to get the older ones that can be spaced......

The inlet lenght is important, but...For most of us whith kit cars, we do not have the luxury of being able to tune this......

If you don't mind a cut out in the bodywork, then it doesnt matter.....

I'm assuming you are going from a single TB, and the car is currently injected?....So you may need to get an inlet manifold fabricated.......

A pic of the engine bay would be useful, so we can help.

But fyi.....Here is a pic of my car (with a CVH engine), with GSXR600 TB's...

Click

Click1

martyn_16v - 19/9/08 at 12:41 PM

Ideal port length for the average car engine is in the region of 18-24". Obviously this just isn't going to happen in your average seven.