Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mpg over 60 mpg potential????
jossey

posted on 4/5/10 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
mpg over 60 mpg potential????

is there a chance of getting over 60mpg out of a locost with a diesel engine?

cheers

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 4/5/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Im sure if you use an engine thats say getting 55mpg in a seat leon. Stick it in a seven, Drive sensibly and im sure you can!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Surrey Dave

posted on 4/5/10 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Very easily I should think, I mused the idea of a Citroen 1.4 turbo diesel , don't they achieve 60+mpg in a C3?
MK9R

posted on 4/5/10 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
is there a chance of getting over 60mpg out of a locost with a diesel engine?

cheers

I got 60mpg out of my VW Bora last week, sitting at a constant 67 on the motorway, so can't see why not. Can't see the point myself though, drive it like you stole it

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 4/5/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'd imagine the aerodynamics of a 7 might be a hinderance compared to a standard eurobox.

My Leon will return an average 45mpg at an indicated 95% for my 120 mile trip

55ant

posted on 4/5/10 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
bit of topic but as i have no idea about crotch rockets is there any reason theres not a deasel motorbike?

Ant

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

jossey

posted on 4/5/10 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
mk9r....

i like the philosophy..

drive it like you stole it is the way i want it to be. im thinking of having a second one for long drives.

i work 70 miles from home. so 140 a day in my car.

i have a 525D bmw e60 which does 40mpg so the cost adds up.

running on veg oil dont work too well either.

Thanks

David Johnson

jossey

posted on 4/5/10 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
55ant

i think someone did a diesel motorbike a 1.4 if i remember right.

maybe more than one but i aint sure.

they aint good on fuel either.

i want a new fiesta engine it should achieve over 100 mpg in locost but its a bit expensive so im thinking cheaper

Thanks

David Johnson

iank

posted on 4/5/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.dieselbike.net/

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

philw

posted on 4/5/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, if you want a car that does 60mpg then buy a tin top that does 60mpg with some relative comfort, the whole point of a kit for me is hooning about and not worrying about getting 12-20mpg as long as i end up smiling, i just don't see the point in being uncomfortable, cold etc and going slow

Must try harder

Irony

posted on 4/5/10 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
I did some driving to and from Stoneleigh at the weekend in my Golf GTTDI 150 and I get 52mpg. About 45 if I put hammer down a bit. I think if you put the the VW PD 150 engine in a kit it would fly and return probably 50-60mpg, perhaps more. You get a cool turbo noise as well but the exhaust noise is to be perfectly honest, crap.

brianthemagical

posted on 4/5/10 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
The gains in mpg for new cars come from aero as well as the engine so it's doubtful you'll achive the cruising economy of the vehicle the engine came from. you might have a car that's the same mpg but acclerates faster.
speedyxjs

posted on 4/5/10 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Out 1.3 fiat does 56mpg (46 when we switch the freezer on) and should easily do 60+ in a seven.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

jossey

posted on 4/5/10 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
ermmmm

ye i should just buy a cheap tin top.

anyone got a car that will do 60mpg going cheap lol

Thanks

David Johnson

BenB

posted on 4/5/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think it'll depend what speed you're driving at. My tintop happily does MPGs in the 60s at 50-60mph. At that speed the aerodynamics of the Seven wouldn't be a massive problem. I think if you expected weight (or lack of it) to overcome the aero disadvantage of a Seven at speeds greater than that you'ld be disappointed.
Davey D

posted on 4/5/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
i managed to get 30mpg out of my R1 engined VortX to and from Stoneleigh
boggle

posted on 4/5/10 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
im sure mark allanson was getting some good mpg from his pinto

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Mark G

posted on 4/5/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
The smart fortwo diesel will do around 80mpg. Use one of their engines and you'd get 60mpg easily. It's only a lil 3 cyl turbo but doesn't weigh much. Don't know what gearbox you'd use.
Mark Allanson

posted on 4/5/10 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle
im sure mark allanson was getting some good mpg from his pinto

Thats right, my Mrs gets scared over 50mph so we do the sunday afternoon type thing. I can stay in 5th because of the lack of weight and potter around the country lanes of Cornwall. I have nearly standard injection setup and get 65mpg.

When on my own and having a howl, I can get it down to 18mpg - but at least I have the choice.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Ivan

posted on 4/5/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think aerodynamics will have much impact at normal cruising speed as the fronatal area of the 7 is most probably much smaller thana tin top although the coefficient of drag is maybe twice as bad so the one may cancel the other.

Given the above it will all be down to weight and gearing - so if your 7 is less than half the weight and pulls longer gears because of that there is no reason why you shouldn't significantly improve on mileage over that of a tintop.

Mercedes put a modern diesel in an old 230E and gained nearly 20% on mileage on the urban cycle over a modern C class because of a significant saving in weight and despite of a large difference in drag. And the car accelerated like a rocket with 0-60 times of under 6 seconds.

[Edited on 4/5/10 by Ivan]

smart51

posted on 4/5/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
Very easily I should think, I mused the idea of a Citroen 1.4 turbo diesel , don't they achieve 60+mpg in a C3?

My wife has a C3 diesel. She often gets close to 60 MPG. Take a few hundred kilos off the weight by putting it in a locost and you could get 70 MPG.

MikeR

posted on 4/5/10 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
i've had 83mpg out of my diesel focus. i did follow a lorry up the m1 from london to coventry to get it.
andkilde

posted on 4/5/10 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Jack at Kinetic Vehicles in the states has a high mileage diesel 7.

http://www.kineticvehicles.com/XPrizeIntro.html

They've used it to win one mileage competition and are working on a streamlined body for further improvements.

t

MkIndy7

posted on 4/5/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I should imagine it can be done easily,

As Mark Allanson has stated you can get very good MPG figures with well setup petrol injection when steady cruising.

On our Pinto with Megasquirt and R1 ITB's with long inlet trumpets we've had 86miles on country roads and start stop in towns imbetween where the acceleration is hard to map fast enough and got about 25mpg.
But then 50 miles back on the Motorway at a steady 60mph on a Gallon so 50mpg!

And thats an old heavy pinto I should imagine a Duratec could beat that hands down with a better designed engine and lighter weight.. you've just got to weigh up the economy vs performance(fun)

Simon

posted on 4/5/10 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm hoping, if I ever get my car back on the road with the new diff to see better than 50mpg on a cruise. If Rover could get 38mpg in the V8 vitesse, I see no reason why not.

Enfield India did a diesel bike that did about 150 mpg, but that only had 4 bhp.

I was looking (vaguely) at building a diesel bike, using a 1.4 fiesta diesel and an Ultima box (american aftermarket harley box).

ATB

Simon

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.