Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy? Any good? Or a Dax....
neilj37

posted on 18/12/08 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget to factor in the cost of a reverse box which you will probably need next year to meet the new IVA requirements.
hammoj28

posted on 18/12/08 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, i was looking at the reverse boxes from dmeon tweeks that goes inline with the prop. Nice bit of kit, not cheap but prob worth it.

Neil, I see your from my area.

neilj37

posted on 19/12/08 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Yes i am local. Have dropped you a U2U with details.
idl1975

posted on 23/12/08 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I have an '05 build Indy (non-R chassis) using an '893 'blade which I bought for a bit of a laugh, and to cart around bike parts. My brother in law is just about finished a square-tube, non-CCC Rush with an '03 R1 engine.

Having been under my MK with a tub of Halfords waxoyl ( ) and having seen the Dax coming along from a bare chassis, I don't think there's anything really in it as far as build quality of the basic chassis is concerned. Having ridden in the Dax demo cars and seen the Dax and the Indy side by side, the Dax seems to have more room in the cabin, which may make a difference if you're tallish (like me) or widish. Or just like a bit of elbow room! Otherwise, I'd save the money and go with the MK. I'm not partisan, it's just that it's cheaper and they have a good reputation. I have to say that I really like the side intrusion bars on the Rush though - not sure if that's an option with the new MK chassis? Get them if it is.

Don't know what your experience level with this type of car is, but I would definitely go for the highest spec Indy chassis if you're going to go that route. Mine is considerably more lively than any road car I've driven. As in, potentially very scary. If you saw that Caterham locking up the front and going sideways everywhere on Top Gear, you probably have some idea.

I'd also recommend going for a cheap, higher capacity engine to start with rather than something as powerful as a GSX-R thou. ZZR, 'bird or even an old CBR thou mill would work. You can always trade up later. Definitely don't pay a premium for hay abusa power at this point, unless you're trying to build a race car. There are no practicality benefits really to big, high-output engines - even my '893, which is about as feeble as BEC powerplants get, has more flexibility than my wife's 182 Cup once it's rolling. You can use 3rd from about walking pace, for example.

Oh, and mine with bolt-on shafts, sierra brakes, plastic bodywork and no reverse box is ~500kg kerb weight.

quote:
Originally posted by hammoj28
Hi guys, im new to the forum (just stating the obvious).

Basically looking to build a seven next year, 2009. Once iv finished saving for the kit.

I have been very taken with the MK Indy R, it looks fantastic, the chassis seems, good, has in board suspension etc. And not only that but it seems extremely good bang for buck. I saw one at crail and it was rapid up the strip with a fazer engine.

However, just finished watching the ultimate kit car DVD - Lotus seven replicas. I cant help thinking that the Indy seemed a bit shunned away to the back of the pack. It didn't seem to set a very quick time round the track and all was said was it had a nice chassis....

The Dax rush seemed to be streaks ahead of it but double the price. Bill Sollis just raved on about it.

My problem is, should i build an mk indy with a gsx-r 1000 engine (my planned engine) or save more and buy a Dax? Is it that much better for probably double the price. I mean it would take more saving and more time obviously.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

James

[Edited on 17/12/08 by hammoj28]

[Edited on 23/12/08 by idl1975]

Promai Joe

posted on 24/12/08 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi everyone

First post to this site and I too am looking into a 7 style kit.

I have a similar predicament in choosing a kit, being my first kit I would like to build can, anyone recommend one from an ease of build angle.

I would be great to start with something easy and modify it later.

After purchasing than annual kit car review, the MNR looks fantastic, the chassis looks leaps beyond the competition (obviously I cannot afford a caterham). Bike engined too, at least that will help me get over the fact that I should not have a bike again (now I am a dad).

Any advice welcome, when is the next show so I can go and have a look.
Cheers
Joe

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.