Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RANT : Raising taxes to raise more money to pay of debt???
smart51

posted on 10/12/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

People forget how bad the country was under the Torys ...

I am willing to bet a fairly large sum of money that if the Torys come to power, interest rates will shoot up (bad for those with mortgages - which is the vast majority of people) and taxes will be further increased ...

Torys cut spending first and set taxes to suit. Don't expect more tax rises from them.

If you don't like Labour or Conservative, remember you have a 3rd choice. According to the BBC Nick Clegg talks a lot of sense and Vince Cable has an annoying habit of being right.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 10/12/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair people always criticise the lib dems for having no experience, maybe that's what you need for a change!
I wouldn't hope they'd be any different though, it all ends up the same.
The problem is most of the time governments don't like putting long term plans in place... just in case they lose the next election and it comes to fruition in the oppositions term. Very short sighted.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

spaximus

posted on 10/12/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
There is a simple fundemental differance between the two main parties. Labour belive in taxing everyone especially those who are high acheivers and hence highe earners, and then spending the tax to reward people who will not work or knock kids out etc etc. Conservatives belive in lower taxes and lower benefits and spending. That is your easy choice. Since the Labour party was begun every time they have been in power they have left office with the economy in taters. The tories then put it right by austerity measures which are unpopular with the population. As soon as the economy picks up Labour gets back in and screws all the good work up. The civil servcie under labour has grown by over 150000 people, have you seen any differance?
Now they have taken to using the polotics of envy again with high earners but if you are a high earner for every £1000 you earn the goverment get £400 income tax, £180 NI, if you spend any of the money another 17.5% Vat on what you have left so that is another £73. As always it is the top earners and "middle England" who pay the most and get the least back. As for the Liberals, they can say anything but before labour was born, there was Liberals and Tories. The liberals at that time made the tories look like a benelovant bunch, which is why they were consigned to an irritation. As for Thatcher, she was not perfect but she certainly cannot be blamed for everything that goes wrong when she left office years ago.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 10/12/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Shame we can't have the sanity of Vince Cable at the helm.

Anyway, yep, I'm a dinosaur now - one of the ex-productive people that was in manufacturing, now very much out of the system. No kids, some savings, so no benefits. Anyway, sorry, I digress.

I heard an interesting slant on the 'troubles' yesterday from Blanchflower. From his perspective, we're in so much debt because the shrinking private sector (of which I was a contributor before my employer went under), is 100% to blame because it isn't producing enough revenue to balance the burgeoning public sector.... hmmm.... must not throw bent conrods at the TV when things are reported on the BBC (government news/propaganda channel).

I'm sure Brown will be sending the Thought Police around at some stage, I need lots of 're-education' and 'realignment' right now. Probably a Fine too....

bigpig

posted on 23/12/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Findlay234 pretty much summed up the problem. We sold off our infrastructure during the Thatcher eara, stupid unions destroyed BL as some sort of points scoring exersize regardless of the impact on the workers, organisations off shored jobs where ever possible in the quest for profit over every thing else.

The attempt to turn the country into a knowledge based industry was foolish and arrogant, assuming the rest of the world is too thick to understand managment and design.

We are left with the main jobs being bankers, upper/middle managment and supermarket shelf fillters (most checkout staff will probably be gone in 10 years).

The change in VAT for organisations with off shore operating units will change this all a bit, but it could swing to banks and the like moving abroad and just having small outlets in the UK.

The traders that made the money unforunatly wernt the same as the ones who lost it, then were the silly ones who thought they could copy the clever traders but just pushing their luck futher and futher with more risky bets and loans. Sadly quite a few non commerical organisations got in on the act and lost huge amounts investing badly (e.g. Icelandic banking).

You can just, as a country, make money by speculating on the stock exhange, you need to make things to trade else its just numbers in a computer, that's one thing we don't seem to do much of any more.

Ninehigh

posted on 23/12/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Vote for us!

It's becoming increasingly apparent to me that what we need is a viable alternative, as Einstein said "The level of thinking that caused the problems will not get us out of them" (or something to that effect. So who's the viable alternative? Us, Joe Public! We're not all stupid, and tbh is not being a politician that much of a hinderance? Heck that could work for us

Seriously could a bunch of complete amatuers do a much worse job?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.