New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Men's Hobbies
StevieB

posted on 7/8/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
Get the kids into karting and make a family hobby of it?

1 is 3 and the other is 3 months old lol

My lads just turned 4 and I want to get him into karting (he wants to have a go himself too, from the amount of times he's asked to have a go in the racing cars - particularly vettels red bull, which I'll need to oull more than a few strings to get them to let him have a go ). I figured the best way would be to go racing myself and then he'll continue onwards from there when he's old enough (plus I'll learn the ropes about the whole thing myself).

I was thinking of starting with Honda Pro-karts

Agriv8

posted on 9/8/11 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
for kids to make it in carting you need to be small and light but strong especially if you are going to be competative up the ranks IMHO.

I have a 4 ( tomorow ) and 6 month old the MNR has not been touched for 2 yeas apart from tuning the engine over every couple of motnhs.

Think I am going to build a toylander or a baby MNR 7.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

balidey

posted on 9/8/11 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
My hobby used to be archery, but family came along so I sold all my gear. But I'm seriously tempted to get back into it again. Its an easy sport to get into, you can take it as far as your ability wants. Technical / engineering side of the sport is interesting, which really appeals to me and I guess most others on this site.

And as many others above, I have been into RC cars, model making. Just got myself an RC helo, but am seriously tempted to make my own tri or quadcopter. Really cool project to build (one hobby) and then fly (another hobby).

Most are cheaper than beer and fags.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Davey D

posted on 9/8/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
How about mountain biking? there are some great locations around the UK. it keeps you fit, and gets you outside in the fresh air.

Every other weekend i go to either the Peak district, or North york moors, then in the week i cycle to/from work a couple of times. Its a good excuse to get all blathered in mud like we did as kids

edsco

posted on 9/8/11 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Stamp collecting....just a thought! ;-)

edsco

quinnj3

posted on 9/8/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Beware of the radio controlled model stuff especially the nitro powered heli's. Very addictive and very expensive. On thursday past my £800 heli's receiver crystal fell out whilst I was hovering very low to the ground. It turned around and came at me and my dad full pelt. Luckily we were able to jump out of the way as it smashed into a tree. Parts repair total to just under £100. The fuel is also around £20-25 a gallon and gets burned up very quick.

Forgot to say, for me at least, its a very enjoyable hobby, very tricky to fly compared to 'planes. I just don't get to spend enough time and money on it due to building a house which now needs furnished.

Liam

posted on 9/8/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
[nerd]

http://technic.lego.com/en-us/Products/8110.aspx

[/nerd]

[richer nerd]

http://www.amazon.co.uk /Lego-10030-Imperial-Star-Destroyer/dp/B0009F3DXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312893279&sr=8-1

[/richer nerd]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tompat3463

posted on 9/8/11 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
got this for sale if ur interested...

HPi savage 21...

carbon firbre chassis plates

2 gears
reverse gear.
Niro powered very fast and very reliable... still in origional box...

runs fine and starts easily.

Description
Description

Description
Description

yours for £130 delivered

cheers Alan

[Edited on 9/8/11 by tompat3463]

[Edited on 9/8/11 by tompat3463]

matt.c

posted on 9/8/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I think im going to go the RC direction. Im thinking of getting a car, plane and a helicopter.

I would like to build the plane instead of buying a ready to fly one. Dont know really where to start as i have never flown one before. Are some planes easier to fly that others? Can you get a plane for a beginner?

Im also going to buy one of those small helicopters to learn. And with the RC car i will end up with a off road 2 wheel drive nitro one just to satisfy my need for engines and smelly fuel.

Need to sell the karting gear before i buy the RC stuff.

If i get bored with the RC toys i will go to plan B which is restore and customise a scooter

posted on 9/8/11 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c

I would like to build the plane instead of buying a ready to fly one. Dont know really where to start as i have never flown one before. Are some planes easier to fly that others? Can you get a plane for a beginner?

Hi Matt,

You most certainly can.

They come under the "High Wing Trainer" category.

Because the wing is on the top, and the wing tips are higher than the wing center, (called dihedral)
they tend to hang in the sky with minimal input from the pilot.

The other thing you could try is a sim. I have a Phoenix.
This is a risk free method of learning to fly on the computer.

Also if you look up the BMFA website it lists all the local clubs. Most do beginners courses.

HTH
Paul G

Edit to add:-
Inwood is a good shop. Their prices are hard to beat.
Typical starter plane link
http://www.inwoodmodels.com/product_info.php?products_id=782&osCsid=883de333fcl87253d817318bd1963c2e
You would also need glo plug lead, starter & battery, fuel, etc.

[Edited on 10/8/11 by 907]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.