Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Old Mini Vs Old Beetle
Syd Bridge

posted on 11/4/06 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Suspension mods only require a hacksaw to shorten the suspension trumpets

Plus a drill to soften the 'donuts' to give a ride that won't shake the fillings out of your teeth!

Cheers,
Syd.

NS Dev

posted on 11/4/06 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Mini

to comment on the beetle would be a waste of valuable time, it is that shite!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

andyps

posted on 11/4/06 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the best car from me - the Mini. Autocar voted it car of the century for good reason.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 14/4/06 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
niether, be different. if i had another chance i would own an imp or lada saloon as my first car, both would be cheaper, faster, and better handling than either a mini or beetle.

Paul

britishtrident

posted on 14/4/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Imp Sport --- fastest cornering production road car of the 60s bar none.
rusty nuts

posted on 14/4/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Imps ? you must be joking, crap transaxle, head gaskets that blew at the drop of a hat and driving in any side wind over 5mph a bag of sand was needed in the front to keep it on the road.
MikeRJ

posted on 15/4/06 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I seriously doubt the lada has better handling than the mini in stock form. At least, not if the awfull, hatefull Lada Riva I had a drive in years ago is anything to go by.
SMB

posted on 15/4/06 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Mini all the way, and speaking of which, was in Barnsley on Thur night and watched a Mini kick a R5Turbo all round a roundabout, left it standing.

Speaking of Golf GTi's, i have an early Mk2 for sale, swop for Mini Clubman Estate!

Triton

posted on 16/4/06 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Mini...up hill tight bend..........3 wheels and mad noise.....but the strokers were better

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Aboardman

posted on 16/4/06 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
mini here is the one i am working on

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/andrew_ryan_001/?start=0

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 17/4/06 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I seriously doubt the lada has better handling than the mini in stock form. At least, not if the awfull, hatefull Lada Riva I had a drive in years ago is anything to go by.

i have driven both within a couple of hours, my lada is far superior, especially now ive fitted bigger wheels and tyres, cut one coil off the rear springs and fitted bilstein shocks to the rear. all i need to do now is fit bilstein shocks to the front, add a second anti roll bar to the front and set up the suspension geometry. vented disks would be useful, solind disks glow red hot after 30mins driving on unclassified roads.

Paul

Spyderman

posted on 17/4/06 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
A few years back I would have said Beetle.
Now I say Mini.
Spares and parts for Beetle have gone astronomical in price whereas Mini stuff is still fairly cheap.
Beetles can look so cool, but require a hell of a lot of work to get to that stage. Minis on the other hand are just pure fun to drive, and when you are sitting inside it what would you prefer?

Spyderman

andyps

posted on 18/4/06 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Cleotis
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

i have driven both within a couple of hours, my lada is far superior, especially now ive fitted bigger wheels and tyres, cut one coil off the rear springs and fitted bilstein shocks to the rear. all i need to do now is fit bilstein shocks to the front, add a second anti roll bar to the front and set up the suspension geometry. vented disks would be useful, solind disks glow red hot after 30mins driving on unclassified roads.

Paul

Must have been a very tired example of a mini.....

I remember Autocar once saying the Mini was the best handling car up to a Lotus Esprit Turbo (price wise) with no mention of any Ladas - aren't they for keeping food in

[Edited on 18/4/06 by andyps]

Andy

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 18/4/06 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
40k p-reg('97) john cooper, total peice of shite, really not my cup of tea.

Paul

[Edited on 18/4/06 by Cousin Cleotis]

andyps

posted on 18/4/06 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
If it had the 13" wheels they don't handle anything like as well - 10" are best.

Andy

DIY Si

posted on 18/4/06 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, 10x5.5/6 are the best. Nice, light wheels a bit of camber and you're laughing. You can go futher and lower it, bit of camber at the back (more added at the front due to lowering) and you'll embarras all sorts of things. Tune the engine and you'll laugh heartily at even more stuff, especially on back roads. Just be sure to fit green stuff pads and the biggest brakes you can fit under the wheels. The only car that's ever raced mine and won is my mate's elise.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.