Author: Subject: 5K on a car
StevieB

posted on 29/9/06 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coose
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
Too expensive as well!

Have a look at Smart Roadsters - cheap to buy and run (50mpg) sporty but not fast (hence why I sold mine!) and built by mercedes, so good quality fit and finish all round.

And they come complete with scissors, hair clips and perming solution!

Words hurt

Coose

posted on 29/9/06 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
Too expensive as well!

Have a look at Smart Roadsters - cheap to buy and run (50mpg) sporty but not fast (hence why I sold mine!) and built by mercedes, so good quality fit and finish all round.

Words hurt

What you really mean is 'harsh, but true'!

Spin 'er off Well...

iank

posted on 29/9/06 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I don't know about 'these days' - my daughter has a Golf GTi that's a few years old and I haven't been hugely impressed, considering the huge difference in cost between that and my Yaris. Loads of niggly little design issues that annoy me (horrible coloured lights for the dials, for example - blue numbers, red needles), lack of cubbyholes for the driver's stuff, and so on.

I also had to take the battery out last weekend as it was knackered - that was an entertaining task (NOT!) and I lost a fair bit of skin off my knuckles in the process. I'm not looking forward to putting its replacement back in this weekend.

If I was spending that sort of money, I wouldn't buy one of those...

David

Had one in Canada, quality can depend where it was built, (Germany or Mexico IIRC for the Golf at that stage) Quite liked the blue instrument glow, but agree about the servicing - the bulbs on that model were a dealer fix for some reason, and they used to blow every 10k miles or thereabouts.

Quite fancy an Octavia TDi as the next car - lots and lots of miles have nearly killed the Rover 200.

StevieB

posted on 29/9/06 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Too expensive as well!

Words hurt

What you really mean is 'harsh, but true'!

What I really mean is if I want your opinion, I'll give it to you!

chockymonster

posted on 29/9/06 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rjbrookes
i love her dearly and would fear for her life in a slightly sporty car.....good idea but not for her........thanks anyway...

i am favouring Yaris, Fabia or 307/206

russ

A 1.6 MX5 is a great little car, my wife had one for a year before we swapped it for a 1.8. It's a very rewarding car to drive if you push it but also easy to drive slowly.

I'd avoid the 307 like the plague, the last firm I was at had 4 as company cars, one was off the road for 7 months with a clutch problem. They all had unreliable electrics and were always going wrong. They were swapped for Focus TDcis and they were fantastic.

The MX5 is a perfectly safe car. My wife was rearended by a car doing 30, she was stationary. MX5 needed a new bumper and a rear wishbone, the car that hit her (Yaris) just crumpled.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 29/9/06 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rjbrookes
i love her dearly and would fear for her life in a slightly sporty car.....good idea but not for her........thanks anyway...

i am favouring Yaris, Fabia or 307/206

russ

A 1.6 MX5 is a great little car, my wife had one for a year before we swapped it for a 1.8. It's a very rewarding car to drive if you push it but also easy to drive slowly.

I'd avoid the 307 like the plague, the last firm I was at had 4 as company cars, one was off the road for 7 months with a clutch problem. They all had unreliable electrics and were always going wrong. They were swapped for Focus TDcis and they were fantastic.

The MX5 is a perfectly safe car. My wife was rearended by a car doing 30, she was stationary. MX5 needed a new bumper and a rear wishbone, the car that hit her (Yaris) just crumpled.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coose

posted on 29/9/06 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

What I really mean is if I want your opinion, I'll give it to you!

Tee hee! I'm just grasping an open opportunity to prod with a pointy stick!

I'll second the 307 view - I had one as a company car for a couple of years and although generally I liked it, it had a few problems. They're reknowned for the indicator stalk breaking, but the worst one was whilst driving through a ford that wasn't even halfway up the wheels I hydraulic locked it! Mr Peugeot thought it would be a great idea to put the air intake at the bottom of the bumper, so drive through a deep puddle and that's it, game over!!!! It was off the road for 10 weeks and I dread to think how much it cost to fix.....

Spin 'er off Well...

StevieB

posted on 29/9/06 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 307 that was made of spit and bus tickets - soggy to drive, leaked like a seive (cabrio version) and was so impressive I kept it for a toal of 3 months before finally losing my rag and getting rid of it!

All rench cars are bad because they try and sell better than BMW levels of kit for less than Ford prices - something has to give way, and it seems to be the overall quality - plenty of shiney toys, but they all break too quickly!

You have to go German or Japanese if you want well engineerd cars that will last the course (my step mum had a bad crash in a Toyota Corrolla which totalled the car, but she was absolutely fine because of the safety cell and crumple zone engineering put into the design)

Marcus

posted on 29/9/06 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
"Look at a 12 month old Toyota Aygo - excellent cars, great MPG (even as petrol) and they're Toyota's so will never break

Don't get a French car - "

But aren't they French anyway? - Peugeot 107, Citroen C1 etc....

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

StevieB

posted on 29/9/06 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
True, but I'm fairly sure Toyota were the lead in the design, since they were the ones who made a big deal about how they've constructed the car so uniquel, and the French cars just sort of slipped quietly onto the market.

I might be wrong though

David Jenkins

posted on 29/9/06 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly, Toyota Yaris's of 'X'-reg and onwards are likely to be French as well (apart from the 'specials' like the T-sport).

David

JackNco

posted on 29/9/06 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
what about one of the new VW beetles? VW - So german reliability
beetle - so she will love it
get a black one n u wont look like a complete ass driving one
n i bet u wont los e much on depreciation?

What u think?

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

StevieB

posted on 29/9/06 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JackNco

What u think?

John

Any car with a flower vase built into the dash cannot be driven by a man!

JackNco

posted on 29/9/06 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
lol thats what i always said about it. but it is gonna be ur GFs car, i asume u have ur own car?

maybe if u get a pink one with flowers ?

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

mawmaw

posted on 29/9/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
we have a fabia vrs, goes like stink and does 45 mpg, slightly over your price range but more lowly models are fab value and v cmfy on a run as well
coozer

posted on 30/9/06 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Brand new Punto at Stoneacre, no deposit, 5 years interest free.

Cracking deal. Interest free on all thier second hand cars as well.

Failing that get her a bus pass or a push bike.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

rjbrookes

posted on 30/9/06 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JackNco

What u think?

John

Any car with a flower vase built into the dash cannot be driven by a man!

Very true! ............

rjbrookes

posted on 30/9/06 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Failing that get her a bus pass or a push bike.

trust me...........she is a lot safer in a car then on a push bike! (even if it was french!)

russ

rjbrookes

posted on 2/10/06 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
looks like it will be a Peugeot 1007, 1.4HDI slightly over budget (7.5k) but she likes it so what can you say! 05/55 plate, blue with 6k miles.

I personally think that its the right car for her, seems to fit all the criteria, only bad thing is its over her budget.
thanks

russ

iank

posted on 2/10/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
+50% is only slightly over budget
Hope she likes it.

rjbrookes

posted on 2/10/06 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
+50% is only slightly over budget
Hope she likes it.

when i spend slightly over budget....ie on kit car... she moans!

they all walk on water this female lot!

Russ

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.